This rice porridge breakfast makes a delicious and ready to be heated up morning porridge breakfast. Ideal for using up either white or wholegrain basmati rice.
OK, I’ll admit it, this rice porridge breakfast recipe has become my new breakfast obsession!
It all started with the overnight breakfast rice pudding recipe I brought to you previously.
After having searched the internet for a cooked rice porridge breakfast recipe that I really liked. One that could be prepared quickly. I couldn't find any I liked!
So I came up with my own. And with both wholegrain and non-wholegrain rice lovers in mind this is the outcome.
It fits in perfectly with my morning routine. If I have this at 6am, I’m not hungry again until lunch at 12, having just a piece of fruit in between.
Hence this now becoming my latest breakfast obsession. It not only tastes fantastic but it's a time saver too!
If you’re a porridge lover. I think you’re going to enjoy this!
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
More Porridge Recipes You Might Enjoy!
- Semolina breakfast porridge is a delicious, sweet and nutritious alternative to traditional porridge oats. Made with sliced banana, sultanas and chopped nuts it’s a healthy and filling start to the day too!
- Apple spice porridge is a deliciously simple heart-warming breakfast with a sweet apple taste and aromas of cinnamon, it’s literally a hug in a bowl. Perfect for cold winters mornings.
- Chocolate chip banana coconut porridge is the perfect brunch start to your weekend. It takes just 5 minutes to combine oats, chocolate chips, banana and coconut milk into this mouthwatering deliciously creamy breakfast lunch!
Rice Porridge Breakfast Recipe
Folks, what kind / combination of fruit and nut toppings do you have on your breakfast porridges?
I’ve put my suggested fruit and nut toppings in the recipe card, but I’d love to hear your topping suggestions that you’ve tried. Or ones you know go well with this rice porridge breakfast.
And I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below too. Please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Rice Porridge Breakfast Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 60 g white basmati / wholegrain basmati rice
- 250 ml skimmed milk
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla essence
- 1 tablespoon chai seeds
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 20 g dried cherries
- 20 g sultanas
- 10 g pumpkin seeds
- 1 tablespoon wheat bran
- 1 tablespoon no fat Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon runny honey
- Place chosen rice in a sieve, rinse with cold water and drain.
- Place drained rice in a bowl, add milk, vanilla essence, chai seeds, cinnamon and nutmeg and combine well.
- Cover bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- In the morning place contents of the bowl into a small saucepan.
- Heat gently, bring to the boil then turn down to simmer, stirring every now and then.
- The rice porridge is cooked when nearly all the milk has been absorbed and the rice is soft. About 8 – 10 minutes if using white basmati rice and 25 – 30 minutes if using wholegrain basmati rice.
- Serve the porridge in a breakfast bowl with suggested topping or with a topping of your own choice.