Wholemeal cob loaf is the perfect accompaniment for soups, meat and fish stews. This easy cob loaf recipe is made by good old fashioned hand kneading!
If you’ve never made your own bread before then don’t worry, this wholemeal cob loaf is an easy mixed by hand in one bowl bread.
It was way back at the start of me writing Neil’s Healthy Meals that I published my first wholemeal bread recipe.
So it’s been a while and probably way overdue for a new one!
So this is the wholemeal cob loaf, I mentioned when I was making yesterday’s broccoli and stilton soup recipe. It’s great for accompanying that.
But it was originally intended for tomorrow’s recipe, which is my take on the classic French moules mariniere recipe made with fresh Scottish west coast winter mussels.
Basically though this cob loaf is perfect for soups and stews of all kinds.
It’s a perfect basic bread recipe!
For Making Your Cob Loaf I Recommend….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product, I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through, then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- Kitchen scale
- Large mixing bowl
- Chopping board
- Kitchen knives
- Measuring jug
- Baking tray
- Wire baking rack
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Bread Recipes You Might Also Like
- Wholemeal Bread and Rolls. Make your own home baked bread and wholemeal rolls by hand or by using a stand mixer. Easy to follow step by step picture guide.
- Home made naan bread step by step guide. This easy recipe hows you how to make this delicious healthy version for scooping up your favourite curries with!
- Homemade whole grain pita bread is a healthier version of the classic pocket bread. A staple of the Middle East this is an easy recipe that everyone can make at home. Delicious with hummus or stuffed with your favourite filling!
Wholemeal Cob Loaf Recipe
As I don’t use any artificial ingredients in this wholemeal cob loaf the best way to keep it fresh is to freeze it as soon as you’ve sliced it and used what you need.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Wholemeal Cob Loaf
- 300 g strong white flour plus some for dusting
- 100 g rye flour
- 100 g strong wholemeal flour
- 10 g salt
- 10 g instant easy bake yeast
- 40 g unsalted butter softened
- 300 ml lukewarm water
- In a large mixing bowl place all the flours, salt, yeast and butter together.
- Add half of the water and mix everything together well.
- Add the remaining half of the water and mix everything together to form a dough ball.
- Lightly dust a clean surface with some flour and knead the dough ball for about 3 – 4 minutes on this surface. Then place the dough ball back into the large mixing bowl and cover the bowl with cling film. Leave to rest for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, knead the dough a little, then shape the dough into a ball and place it onto a baking tray. Place the tray with the dough on it into a loose fitting bag and allow to rest and rise again for 1 hour.
- Pre-heat the oven to 220C Fan.
- Using a sharp knife carefully make some diagonal slashes across the top of the dough, dust with some flour and bake in the centre of the oven for about 30 minutes until dark brown and hollow sounding when tapped.
- Allow to cool on a wire rack for at least 45 minutes to 1 hour before cutting and serving.