Wholemeal honey bread. Make your own delicious and hearty whole wheat bread with this easy to make bread recipe using only 7 ingredients!
Folks I think you'll agree that nothing compares to freshly baked homemade bread. Yes?
My wholemeal bread and rolls recipe has been one of my most popular home bread baking recipes for years.
This whole wheat honey bread is one of my other favourite wholemeal bread recipes to bake at home.
If you're a fellow baker like myself then I think you're just going to love this!
Homemade honey wholemeal bread recipe is simple to make and great toasted with a little spread and jam on.
This honey bread is a dense sweet loaf of whole wheat bread and you will find even a couple of slices of it very filling.
It only needs 7 ingredients and isn't expensive to make.
It's great as a quick grab and go breakfast or as a filler between meals!
As I said earlier I believe that your own homemade bread is the best.
It's healthier and tastier than supermarket bought breads. You know exactly what you’ve put in it!
If you're looking to make your diet a bit more healthy and also a novice at bread making this wholemeal honey bread recipe is perfect for beginner bread makers too!
Although you can easily make this wholemeal honey bread recipe without a stand mixer I do use one for most of my bread recipes.
This is the KitchenAid Stand Mixer I use. This KitchenAid heavy duty mixer is reliable, durable and efficient.
If you buy a KitchenAid stand mixer it's likely it will last you for life. Mine has so far!
Tips For How To Make This Wholemeal Honey Bread
- Use strong (bread making) wholemeal flour. You need the gluten from that type of flour. Ordinary plain wholemeal flour will not work for this recipe.
- Make sure your yogurt and milk are at room temperature to help the bread cook throughout. Otherwise you might end up with a raw centre.
- Use a good quality runny honey. If you feel the bread is too sweet you can adjust the quantity but that may mean tweaking the quantities of the other liquid ingredients.
- For the olive oil I use a good quality cooking olive oil. There's no need to get a special olive oil for this bread recipe.
- Oven temperature. Every oven is different and you may need to experiment with yours to get the exact timing you need. The timings I give in the recipe below are what works for me in my oven and guidance only.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Homemade Bread Recipes You Might Also Like
- Wholemeal cob loaf is the perfect accompaniment for soups, meat and fish stews. This easy cob loaf recipe is made by good old fashioned hand kneading!
- Home made naan bread step by step guide. This easy recipe hows you how to make this delicious healthy version for scooping up your favourite curries with!
- Homemade whole grain pita bread is a healthier version of the classic pocket bread. A staple of the Middle East this is an easy recipe that everyone can make at home.
- Easy multigrain bread made from just 8 ingredients! This healthy vegan bread recipe is stuffed full of oats and seeds and tastes just delicious!
Wholemeal Honey Bread Recipe
To store this bread allow it to cool fully. Then store it in an airtight container.
As there's no artificial preservates in this recipe it will only last about 4 - 5 days in the airtight container.
If you want to make the bread last longer then I recommend slicing the loaf completely and freezing it in a bread bag in your freezer.
Slices of the wholemeal honey bread can be taken out of your freezer when required. You can let them defrost or toast them.
I often take out a couple of slices in the morning which usually defrost in time to go with a lunchtime soup!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Wholemeal Honey Bread Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 500 g strong wholemeal bread flour
- 2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 200 ml Greek yogurt
- 200 ml milk
- 4 tablespoon honey
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- Pre-heat your oven to 200C.
- Spray a loaf tin with cooking oil spray or wipe a little olive oil around the insides.
- Add the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt into a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer.
- In a separate Pyrex glass bowl whisk the yogurt, milk, honey, and oil together.
- Gradually add the milky liquid, mixing by hand or with a dough hook, if using a stand mixer, for 5 minutes until a soft dough ball is formed. Add more flour or liquid if required to get the desired consistency.
- Transfer the dough to a greased bread baking tin and press the dough down into each corner of the tin.
- Bake in the oven for 20 – 25 minutes until golden on top and the loaf should sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Leave to cool on a wire rack before slicing.