40 minute potato curry is a delicious easy vegan curry recipe. You’ll love this healthy filling dish. It’s perfect as a weeknight quick hearty meal!
Well folks today I’m going to be true to my promise of bringing you one of the delicious curries I ate whilst staying in Zanzibar in September.
This potato curry is simple to make and as the title states it should only take you 40 minutes from preparation until it’s ready to eat.
You won’t need a blender or any other fancy kitchen contraption for this tasty curry.
Nope, it can all be made in just one pot!
This potato curry recipe certainly won’t break the bank either.
The veggies used are just potatoes and green pepper. That’s all that’s needed. It’s the flavour from the spices that really make this curry!
You could use new potatoes for this recipe and just leave the skins on if you wanted to.
I haven’t tried this recipe with yellow peppers or red peppers yet but I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use those. Feel free to update in the comments below if you do!
This curry recipe is just for 2 people. But you can easily double up the ingredients if you wanted to make it for 4.
You could also serve smaller portions of the potato curry for 2 with Naan or Roti breads to make it go round more people instead of doubling up the ingredients.
However you choose to enjoy this curry, I think it’s one you’ll add to your favourite curry list!
You see that’s exactly what I did when we were in Zanzibar.
I added it to my DAILY favourite curry list and helped myself to a portion of it from the hotel buffet every night!! 😆
Tips For How To Make Potato Curry
- What potato is best for potato curry? You want to choose a waxy potato as they hold their shape and have a firm bite. Examples of waxy potatoes include New Potatoes, Maris Piper or Jersey Royals.
- Cut the potatoes into small cubes (diced as per recipe card). That way they will cook faster. The bigger the potato pieces then the longer it will take for them to cook through.
- Allow the potatoes to simmer over a low to medium heat. That way they will soften throughout. Cooking them over a high heat will cook the outsides quickly but not the insides.
- Can potato curry be frozen? Yes this potato curry is ideal for freezing. I suggest dividing any leftover curry into portions and freezing in individual containers.
- Can you reheat potato curry? Yes. Once defrosted you can easily reheat it in a microwave or in a saucepan over low heat.
To serve this 40 Minute Potato Curry you may need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
These are the balti dishes I use to serve my curries. You’ll see these dishes in most of my curry recipe photographs as well. They add a perfect authenticity when serving your curry.
For a very reasonable price you get 6 of these high grade stainless steel authentic Indian balti dishes.
They’re easy to clean and you’ll enjoy them for life!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Potato Curry Favourites on Neil’s Healthy Meals :-
- Potato and spinach curry is another vegan curry, low in calories but exceptionally tasty. It’s easy to make and ready to serve on your dinner table in less than one hour!
- One pot sweet potato and chickpea curry. This is a fantastic quick healthy budget recipe to make. Delicious and full flavoured this filling vegan curry is perfect for freezing too!
- Aubergine and sweet potato curry is a simple and deliciously healthy vegan curry. An all in one pot hearty family meal ready in just one hour!
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Folks, I hope you enjoy this simple but tasty potato curry recipe!
Coming on Thursday I’ve a great new Slow Cooker Turkey Chilli recipe!
Until then have a great weekend!
40 Minute Potato Curry Recipe
This tasty easy potato curry is delicious served with home made naan breads!
Make sure to add it to your 40 minute meals or easy meals for two list!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
40 Minute Potato Curry
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Small onion finely diced
- 1/2 green pepper sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 3 medium potatoes peeled and diced to 2.5cm
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 green chilli finely chopped
- 1 tsp salt
- 200 ml hot water
- 1 tbsp fresh coriander chopped
- 1/2 tsp garam masala
- Gently heat the oil in a pan then add the onion and sauté for a 2 - 3 minutes.
- Stir in the green pepper and cook, stirring for 2 minutes then add the ginger and garlic paste. Stir all until combined and the pepper begins to soften.
- Add the diced potatoes combining well into the mixture. Then stir in the spices, green chilli and salt for about 2 minutes. Stirring well until everything is coated with the spices.
- Pour in the hot water and bring the mixture to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes until the potatoes are softened and water has reduced.
- Turn off the heat, stir in the coriander and garam masala and transfer to Balti serving dishes.