Sweet potato and red lentil soup is a delicious and easy recipe. This healthy vegan and gluten free soup is a perfect filler that never fails to please.
Folks, this healthy sweet potato and red lentil soup is a simple soup to prepare.
What’s more it’s really easy to consume as its just so tasty!
It’s perfect for families as the recipe makes 6 portions and any leftovers can easily be frozen.
Plus being thick, naturally creamy and deliciously sweet, it’s sure to be a dinner table winner!
It’s the sweet potatoes that when blended give this soup its natural creamyness.
I love cooking with all kinds of lentils. Red, green and brown. In this case I’ve used red lentils, which means the recipe cooks quicker.
Both sweet potatoes and red lentils are relatively inexpensive ingredients so this sweet potato red lentil soup makes an excellent budget soup recipe!
There’s also turmeric in this red lentil soup recipe.
Turmeric has received a lot of coverage in the news and press recently with studies showing anti cancer effects.
Obviously a lot more research needs to be done here but these early signs certainly seem promising!
Why this Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Soup Is Good For You!
- There’s a whopping 485% of your recommended daily vitamin A here. Essential for keeping all your vital organs in working order!
- There are only 309 calories per serving of this healthy sweet potato soup. Just 15% of calorie intake on a 2000 calorie per day diet.
- The fat content of this soup is just 2g. That’s only 3% of your daily recommended.
- As it’s so low in calories and fat it’s great if you’re on a weightloss plan!
For this Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Soup you many need……
I used my amazing Optimum VAC2 Air Vacuum Blender to puree the soup.
Just look how smooth this blender makes soup! There are no bits of veg floating about in it. It’s just pure creamy natural deliciousness.
Plus folks, good news as I’m a Froothie Ambassador, the UK distributors of Optimum blenders, if you order the Optimum Vac2 Vacuum Blender using this link, then I can offer you free postage and packing if you add my 4 digit delivery code 5276 into the comment box on ordering, or mention it if you are ordering by phone. The delivery charge will be credited back to your card.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Firstly folks, if you love my sweet potato and red lentil soup recipe then please share it with your friends and on your social media channels!
You might also want to check out my other popular sweet potato soup recipes:-
Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup – delicious and simple to make. Vegan and gluten free. Low calorie and filling too. Dairy free, it’s a soup that gives you a warming hug just when you need it most!
Leek Sweet Potato and Rosemary Soup – this soup is addictive! The combination of flavours marinates together perfectly creating such a delicious creamy comfort soup. It’s really simple and quick to make too, in less than one hour!
So two new comforting dinner recipes are coming your way next week. Both perfect for the time of year!
Hope you can join me for these delicious recipes next week!Sweet potato and red lentil soup is a delicious and easy recipe. This healthy vegan and gluten free soup is a perfect filler that never fails to please.Click To Tweet
Sweet Potato and Red Lentil Soup Recipe
This is a filling red lentil soup. It’s great at any time of the year and makes a satisfying lunch or weeknight dinner.
There’s a lovely hint of heat from the chilli powder. If it’s too little or too much feel free to vary the amount to your own personal taste.
I recommend pairing this soup with a slice of wholemeal bread. Perfect for dunking and wiping up the last few drops!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 1 kg sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1.5 L vegetable stock
- 210 g red split lentils
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/2 tsp mild chilli powder
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp coriander chopped
- Gently heat the oil in a large soup pot and add the diced onion to soften it, stirring occasionally for about 4 – 5 minutes. Then add the diced potatoes and continue to stir for a further 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock, lentils, ground turmeric and mild chilli powder.
- Stir well, bring to the boil and turn down to simmer gently for 20 –25 minutes until all the mixture is completely softened. Remove from the heat.
- When the soup has cooled a little, blitz it in a blender / food processor and return to the pan, season to taste, garnish with the chopped coriander and then serve.