Mexican bean bake. Stuffed full of protein, fibre and essential vitamins and minerals. On the table in less than one hour. Let the tastes and flavours of Mexico permeate your kitchen and taste buds!
Hello Mexican bean bake, hello folks, how have you “bean”?
I crack myself up. 😆
But seriously folks, it’s pretty much “bean” all about beans this month hasn’t it?
If you were to ask me which bean recipe I liked best, I’d struggle to answer that one because they’re perfect for all their occasions.
Here with this Mexican bean bake though, the combination of Mexican tastes and flavours, the vibrant colours and ingredients, offer such a unique taste sensation.
And then there’s the golden cheesy topping. Looks calorific doesn’t it? Nope, it’s only 356 calories per portion.
Ok, so let’s get on with the recipe, and then I can waffle on divulge to you some more information about why this Mexican bean bake is good for you!
Why This Mexican Bean Bake Is Good For You
- A quarter of your daily recommended vitamin C in one serving.
- A quarter of your daily recommended calcium and iron in one serving
- Pinto beans are extremely low fat and an excellent source of protein and fibre.
- Black eye beans are good for keeping your blood pressure healthy, helping to lower your risk of heart disease.
- The recipe makes 6 portions and is ideal for freezing too.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Bean Recipes You Might Also Like
- Quick and easy black bean burgers are perfect for cooking in a pan or on your BBQ. No matter what the weather or if you’re short on time, these delicious budget vegan burgers are the business!
- Slow cooker budget bean burritos are the perfect recipe for feeding the family and letting you get on with other things in the meantime. Delicious and full of flavor let it simmer away resulting in a cheap and easy healthy, vegan meal!
- This vegan mixed bean curry is an easy 40 minute one pan healthy budget bean curry recipe. It goes perfectly with rice or naan bread!
Mexican Bean Bake Recipe
Why not substitute the pinto beans and black eye beans here for other kinds of tinned beans if you can’t get those or fancy a change!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Mexican Bean Bake
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 500 g lean turkey mince
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 gloves garlic finely chopped
- 50 g frozen sweetcorn
- 300 g can drained pinto beans
- 300 g can drained black eye beans
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 40 g chopped green jalapenos from a jar
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp chilli powder
- ½ tsp coriander
- 1 medium sized red chilli pepper seeds removed, chopped
- 1 medium sized green chilli pepper seeds removed, chopped
- 50 g full fat grated cheese
- 50 g half fat grated cheese
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180C Fan.
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan.
- Add the turkey mince, stir until browned, and then remove from the saucepan with a slotted spoon leaving the oil in the pan.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan and sauté in the remaining oil for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the sweetcorn, pinto beans, black eye beans, chopped tomatoes, jalapenos, spices and chopped chilli peppers stir and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Add back the cooked turkey mince, stir everything together for a couple of minutes, season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Empty the saucepan contents into a large casserole dish, mix and spread the two cheeses evenly over the top
- Place in the oven and bake for 15 – 20 minutes until cheese is golden brown on top
- Remove from the oven, allow to cool a little and sprinkle the chopped coriander over the top before serving.