Chestnut soup is a delicious and festive vegan soup just bursting with flavour. A perfect soup to serve up as a Christmas Day appetizer!
Even if not eaten around Christmas this chestnut soup makes for a brilliant winter warmer.
It's packed with the flavour of beautiful soft chunks of chestnuts.
Complimented with healthy medley of seasonal vegetables topped off with sweet chopped rosemary.
Why not make something different for your Christmas Day starter?
Last year I was searching our supermarkets high and low to get my hands on a bag of fresh chestnuts but was unsuccessful.
You see I'd planned to make this last year and because I couldn't its been on my to-make list since then!
So, as soon as I spied chestnuts in a supermarket in November I just bought them straight away and I've made several batches for our freezer.
I made this hearty soup as my contribution towards our Christmas dinner when I lived my parents.
Already then (I was about 15) I was interested in old fashioned ingredients and old fashioned recipes. Of which this chestnut soup was one.
This soup went down really well.
Everybody loved it! It's only taken me 30 years to recreate it. LOL.
Anyway, not only are Chestnuts a great inexpensive ingredient to use in your recipes they are extremely good for you too!
Why Are Chestnuts Good For You?
- Chestnuts are both low in fat and high in fibre.
- Nearly all the fat is unsaturated (a good fat).
- They are a valuable source of protein.
- Chestnuts contain calcium helping to build strong bones and teeth.
- Vitamin E is a key vitamin found in chestnuts which helps to keep our eyes and skin healthy.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Festive Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- Ham and vegetable soup. This tasty ham and vegetable soup is packed full of nutrition. It’s an easy to make hearty healthy soup that makes 6 to 8 portions. It freezes well too.
- This broccoli and stilton soup is vegetarian, gluten free and low calorie. Its a cheesy tasting delicious bowl of comfort giving you a warm glow at any time of the year.
- Leftover turkey soup is the ultimate recipe to use up any of that remaining turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas. This delicious healthy recipe is literally bursting with flavour.
Chestnut Soup Recipe
If you want to add a little indulgent festive cheer to this chestnut soup recipe then add a tablespoon of sweet sherry!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Chestnut Soup Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 400 g cooked and peeled whole chestnuts*
- 2 sticks of celery diced
- 2 onions finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 carrot peeled and diced
- 1.5 L vegetable stock
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- Place all the ingredients, except the rosemary into a large saucepan.
- Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for approximately 40 minutes.
- Season to taste, garnish with the fresh rosemary and serve.