Leftover turkey soup is the ultimate recipe to use up that leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas. This delicious healthy turkey soup recipe is bursting with flavour!
Hey folks, in case you missed Tuesday's recipe, turkey chow mein, this weeks recipe theme is all about using up that leftover turkey from Thanksgiving or Christmas.
So today it's time for my tried, tested and much loved leftover turkey soup to make an appearance!
Its usually after Thanksgiving or Christmas that there’s an abundance of leftovers and that makes for the perfect opportunity to get creative with next-day meals of which this leftover turkey soup is no exception.
Heating up the leftovers and eating the same meal over and over again just isn’t going to cut it, that's where this turkey soup from leftovers recipe comes into play!
This homemade turkey soup is one of my favorite recipes for using up leftovers and is ideal for making after the festivities because it really doesn't require too much effort at all.
Plus if you don't have any leftover turkey meat it's equally easy enough to make this soup at any time of the year just by using cooked and shredded turkey breast meat.
Just like my chicken soup the health benefits of this leftover turkey soup are numerous and its especially great for if you have a winter cold!
I've made this a really simple healthy turkey soup where I've added rice as a cheap "bulk up" grain but you can add any different kind of vegetables you want to change it up a little or to substitute for the rice.
You can more or less use up whatever leftover vegetables you have sitting in your fridge!
This is a thick and comforting turkey soup for the winter season, and perfect for turkey leftovers!
It goes to show that leftover thanksgiving turkey or Christmas turkey or indeed Sunday roast turkey is not just for making turkey sandwiches with!
Make sure to add this delicious thanksgiving leftovers recipe to your list of leftover turkey soup recipes!
- Olive Oil
- Cooked Turkey
- Chicken Stock
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Extra Tarragon (Garnish)
See recipe card for quantities.
- Olive Oil - you can substitute with any kind of oil. Vegetable oil and Canola oil would be fine.
- Onion - this is the base of the leftover soup so no substitution.
- Cooked Turkey - you could use chicken instead. Cold rotisserie chicken or Sunday roast chicken would be fine too.
- Tarragon - I use dried herbs but you could substitute with fresh herbs like fresh thyme, sage, marjoram or a bay leaf (remember to remove your bay leaf once your delicious soup is ready!)
- Chicken Stock - if you have time you could use turkey bones or your leftover turkey carcass to make homemade turkey stock.
- Rice - white rice is fine. I use basmati in this rice soup. You could also use wild rice or brown rice too.
- Milk - I use semi skimmed as this is a healthy soup. You can use a milk of your choice but that might change the nutritional values and calorie content.
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Extra Tarragon (Garnish) - optional
Why You'll Love This Best Leftover Turkey Soup
- This is a tried and tested much loved family recipe using very simple ingredients. Our favorite way of using up turkey leftovers.
- A delicious healthy soup it's quick and easy to make.
- You don't need a whole lot of leftover turkey to make it!
- On a cold day this is such a good soup for the whole family but it's equally good at any time of the year too.
- You can add in other fresh veggies (as suggested in the list below) to bulk up this simple turkey soup making it an easy meal option too.
Other Veggies You Could Add To This Leftover Turkey Soup
- Sweet Potatoes
- Turnips / Swede
- Green Beans
- Brussel sprouts
How To Make Leftover Turkey Soup Recipe
1. Heat the oil in your soup pot and saute the onions.
2. Stir in your choice of herbs and cooked shredded turkey and then add your stock. Allow to simmer.
3. Add your choice of rice and simmer until your rice is cooked. Add other veggies if you want. Turn off the heat
4. Stir in your milk, season to taste and serve!
Full method in recipe card.
What To Serve With This Soup?
This turkey soup is delicious on its own or perfect with a slice of multigrain bread.
How Long Can You Keep Homemade Turkey Soup In The Fridge?
Store your soup in an airtight container for 2 - 3 days in the fridge maximum. It can be reheated on the stove over a medium heat or in the microwave.
Can This Soup Be Frozen?
Yes. Freeze by portioning into individual containers first and will last for up to 6 months in your freezer.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Great Recipes for Leftover Turkey
- Baked potato with Coronation turkey recipe makes for a delicious quick healthy meal. Based on the classic Coronation chicken with fresh and lightly spiced flavours it’s a great way of using up leftover turkey too.
- Turkey and leek pie is a simple and quick recipe for using up any leftover turkey from the festive period. It’s a delicious low cost family meal that only requires a few ingredients.
- Turkey and broccoli stir fry is a fantastic quick healthy meal. A cost conscious stir fry it’s ideal for those on limited budgets. Tasty, easy to prepare and packed full of nutritional goodness too!
Leftover Turkey Soup Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 175 g cooked turkey shredded
- 1 tablespoon tarragon fresh or dried
- 600 ml chicken stock
- 40 g washed rice
- 150 ml skimmed milk
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- A little tarragon to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan and add the diced onions. Saute for 2 - 3 minutes until softened.
- Stir in the shredded turkey and tarragon and then add the chicken stock and bring to the boil, turn down to simmer.
- Add the rice and simmer for 20 minutes until its cooked then turn off the heat.
- Stir in the milk, season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve in bowls with a little more tarragon sprinkled over.
Nutritional information provided below is calculated using paid for online tools and the exact ingredients and quantities used above.
Rate The Recipe
If you’ve made this turkey soup recipe, or any other recipes on Neil's Healthy Meals, then please let me know.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂