Simple chicken and vegetable soup. Simple because it’s made with basic vegetables, a chicken breast and stock cubes. It’s just a really tasty and satisfying simple soup recipe. A quick healthy meal all in one!
I mean, I don’t know about you but it’s not every day I have the luxury of a leftover chicken which I can take the meat off the bone and make stock from the remains, in order to make the perfect chicken soup!
What about you?
So why wait until you do have that leftover chicken, when all you really want is a good old fashioned, quick and simple chicken and vegetable soup like NOW? When winter’s arrived!
So here, all I’ve done is make it simple to create a chicken and vegetable soup WITHOUT the remains of a Sunday dinner.
Plus you can easily add your own selection of any vegetables you’ve got to use up too.
- 400 g boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 4 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 celery stalks sliced
- 1.5 l chicken stock
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Chopped curly parsley for garnish optional
- Pre-heat oven to 180C and cook chicken breast for 25 to 30 minutes until no longer pink inside. Then remove and allow to cool.
- Whilst the chicken is cooking in the oven, prepare all the vegetables.
- When the chicken breast has cooled, using 2 forks shred the chicken.
- Place the shredded chicken, vegetables, garlic, stock and thyme in a large soup pot and turn on the heat underneath. Bring the soup to the boil and then turn down to simmer for approximately 30 minutes or until the vegetables are as soft as you prefer.
- Season to taste.
- Serve garnished with freshly chopped parsley.
This chicken and vegetable soup is especially good served with warm crusty bread.
Winter. It’s here. Let me tell you that as I type this up, here in Glasgow, we’re currently being battered by Storm Clodagh and it’s a HOWLING gale outside.
I always have the radio on when I’m in the kitchen cooking and I’m hearing that the snow gates across Scotland are being shut. So, you can see precisely why I’ll be tucking into a bowl of this fresh chicken and vegetable soup today.
In fact the way things are going here, I’ll be tucking into this soup pretty much every day!
You know how Lady Lynne and I headed into Glasgow, as I mentioned in the couscous ratatouille recipe, on Saturday, to pick up a few bits and bobs for our holiday? Well, it was so wet that we decided it was better to come home and get a pizza rather than stay out any longer. We cancelled going out for dinner as we had planned!
We did, however, manage to make it to the Christmas market where we had our traditional annual bratwurst. Whilst standing in the rain. Lol. I feel kind of Christmassy now.
And as I’ve mentioned the C word again, for the umpteenth time, but now with the excuse it actually IS December, please do join me on Thursday for an actual Christmas recipe! A delicious chocolatey snowball one!
Speaking of traditional things like our visit to the Christmas market for our bratwurst. What kind of traditional things do you like to do at this time of year to get you in the mood for Christmas?
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.