This couscous ratatouille is a delicious vegan medley of vegetables combined with giant couscous, making a perfectly filling quick healthy meal. It’s ideal as a family dinner and easily freezable too!
Couscous ratatouille is based on the classic French Provençal vegetable stew and the delicious flavours that go with that.
All I’ve done is add in some couscous to make it a delicious meal by itself.
You can be sure you’re getting a good dose of your daily recommended nutritional intake from this healthy recipe.
Couscous Ratatouille Is Perfect For Vegan January
Firstly, Happy Thanksgiving to all my American friends!
You may want to consider this vegetable based recipe after all that turkey! Ha ha! 😉
Anyway, so, you may recall that I mentioned in a post previously that my other half and I are going vegan for January.
Well, this recipe provides an idea of the sort of meals you can expect here on neilshealthymeals, throughout that month.
Still fitting into the usual theme of quick healthy meals, but being vegan!
I must admit that when my other half
told me I was going made the suggestion that we should both try a vegan only diet for that month, I had some trepidation.
Not only from a whole load of new meatless meals I’d have to think of, but also that fact of all the other things I might miss, like cheese and my beloved Greek yogurt!
However, I’ve thought about it more clearly now, and, actually going through some of the recipes here on neilshealthymeals, a lot of them can be tailored to be vegan.
This comes from both of us not being huge red meat eaters, preferring white lean meats and / or fish, and a diet largely like the Mediterranean diet with lots of fresh fruit and vegetables.
For instance, I was making a batch of chorizo and lentil stew this week and it occurred to me that it could quite easily be made vegan.
Removing the chorizo meat element, switching the chicken stock for vegetable stock and adding some kidney beans or chickpeas, extra red peppers and a little chilli too. Yum!
It’s going to be an interesting January, and I’ll keep you fully updated here. And, I hope you’ll follow us on our vegan “journey”!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Vegetarian Recipes You Might Also Like
- Aubergine and sweet potato curry is a simple and deliciously healthy vegan curry. An all in one pot hearty family meal ready in just one hour!
- Mediterranean vegetable casserole is not only packed full of flavour but with loads of healthy veggies, this fantastic vegan family dish is also extremely filling and satisfying!
- Vegetarian couscous stuffed peppers make for a delicious quick healthy meal. Stuffed with tasty feta cheese and a selection of healthy ingredients these peppers make for an excellent light lunch, starter or dinner with accompanying salad.
Couscous Ratatouille Recipe
Not only is this ratatouille extremely healthy and low calorie but you’ll find the smell of it whilst it’s cooking intoxicating!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 courgette sliced thinly zucchini, then slices quartered
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 1 red pepper capsicum, diced
- 250 g white mushrooms sliced
- 2 x 400g (14oz U.S) tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 tsp chilli paste optional
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 100 g whole wheat giant couscous
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- Freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the courgette, carrot, red pepper, combine together well and cook for 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, cook for 2 minutes, stirring together.
- Add both tins of tomatoes, bring the ratatouille to the boil, then turn down to simmer gently, stir in the chilli paste and allow to cook for about 6 minutes.
- Whilst ratatouille is simmering away, cook the whole wheat couscous in the vegetable stock for approximately 6 minutes, then drain.
- Add the cooked couscous to the ratatouille, cook everything together, stirring the mixture regularly for a further 5 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with the chopped parsley