I love the smell of this chorizo, tomato, lentil and kale soup as it permeates our kitchen and through our house when the chorizo is releasing its juices. And as for the taste, well I just think it is a complete taste sensation! Sometimes simple is best……
This chorizo, tomato, lentil and kale soup is a meal in itself. Lots of fantastic healthy ingredients served up in one big bowl. Normally this is a lunchtime soup for us, but I’ve seen us have this as a dinner option too, maybe if we’ve been out to lunch at the weekend and we just want something non carb filling in the evening.
- 1 large diced onion
- 50g chorizo chopped up into small 0.5cm pieces
- 400g tin chopped tomatoes
- 175g red split lentils
- 120g shredded curly kale
- 1L vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper
- Heat a large pan, large enough to hold 1.5L of liquid.
- Add the chopped chorizo pieces; stir them round the pan to release their juices. Remove the chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon once it begins to brown and set it aside.
- Add the diced onion and stir and sweat the onion in the chorizo juices. Once the onion has softened add the tomatoes, the red split lentils, and then add the chorizo back to the pan, stirring the mixture to combine it. Cook for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable stock to the pan, bring to the boil, then turn down the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes of simmering, add the curly kale and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
You can get more than 50% of your recommended daily fibre intake from this soup and nearly 100% of your vitamin dose. I highly recommend this simple, tasty chorizo, tomato, lentil and kale soup as a fantastic cure and prevention of colds too!
If this is a lunch option then I’d recommend serving with 2 slices of my home made wholemeal bread or wholemeal roll.
I hope you enjoy this and I’d love to hear what you think?