Chorizo yellow split pea soup is a rich, comforting and filling winter soup. A budget soup that’s easy to make and has a delicious smoky flavour!
Hey Folks! Happy New Year! Let’s start this year with a healthy and smoky tasting chorizo yellow split pea soup.
This comforting split pea soup is so easy to make and at only 326 calories per serving it’s perfect if you’re looking to lose some of those Christmas pounds.
Plus, if you’re skint like us it’ll go further as you’ll get 6 delicious portions from this excellent budget soup!
I love cooking with chorizo as it’s so full of flavour.
Whilst it can be quite a fatty meat, this chorizo yellow split pea soup only uses a very small amount.
The yellow split peas easily absorb all those delicious smoky meaty flavours.
You can taste those flavours with every mouthful you take.
Soups like this are such a great way to get bags of flavour out of small pieces of meat.
Not just that, soups like this are a great way to help you to lose weight too!
I often talk about how I changed my diet and lifestyle and started making everything from scratch.
That included eating soup every day for lunch instead of sandwiches.
If you’re looking to make similar changes to your lifestyle this year, then check out my Free Simple Soups eCookbook and subscribe to receive lots more recipes like these!
Is Chorizo Yellow Split Pea Soup Healthy?
- Only a very small amount of chorizo is used in this chorizo yellow split pea soup recipe.
- Yellow split peas are the dried version of fresh sweet peas and are highly nutritious and healthy.
- Split peas are a member of the pulse family. Pulses are a group of 12 crops that includes dry beans, dry peas, chickpeas, and lentils.
- Pulses are a great source of iron and fibre.
- You’ll get 21g of protein per serving of this yellow split pea soup.
- Eating a diet with more pulses in can help reduce the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Chorizo Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- You’ll love the smell of this chorizo, tomato, lentil and kale soup as it permeates your kitchen and house when the chorizo is releasing its juices. And as for the taste, well it’s just a complete taste sensation!
- The amazing flavours of this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup combine to form a deliciously warming winter soup. This low calorie soup is both filling and satisfying too.
- Tomato and chorizo soup is the perfect winter warmer. Vibrant and bursting with flavour, this easy low cost rustic soup is just what you need when it’s cold outside!
Coming Next Tuesday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Folks, Lady Lynne and I are soon taking a break, so next week’s recipe is coming to you on Tuesday.
I hope you can join me then for a great new Easy Mixed Vegetable Curry recipe.
It’s a great curry recipe, if like us, you’re trying to eat lots more vegetable dishes!
Chorizo Yellow Split Pea Soup Recipe
If you enjoyed this chorizo yellow split pea soup then be sure to check out my yellow split pea with ham soup recipe too!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Chorizo Yellow Split Pea Soup
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 300 g yellow split peas
- 50 g Chorizo Sausage finely chopped
- 2 medium sized diced onions.
- 3 medium sized diced carrots
- 1.5 L chicken stock home-made or from a stock cube
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Soak the yellow split peas overnight or for at least 6 hours in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In a large saucepan heat the chopped chorizo stirring it around to release its juices. Do this for about 2 minutes and then remove the chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the diced onions and diced carrots to the chorizo juices in the pan and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes or so.
- Once the onions and carrots are soft add back the chopped chorizo as well as all of the pre-soaked yellow split peas, mix together, and then add the 1.5 litres of chicken stock.
- Simmer for about 1 hour until all the vegetables are soft. Stirring the pot occasionally.
- Switch off the heat and allow the soup to cool a little.
- Puree the soup in batches and put back in a saucepan.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with parsley.