Chorizo yellow split pea soup is a rich, comforting and filling winter soup. A budget soup that's easy to make and has a delicious smoky flavour!
Hey Folks! Happy New Year! Let's start this year with a healthy and smoky tasting chorizo yellow split pea soup.
This comforting split pea soup is so easy to make. It's a twist on my popular yellow split pea and ham soup.
And at only 326 calories per serving this soup is perfect this soup you're looking to lose some of those Christmas pounds.
Plus, if you're skint like us it'll go further as you'll get 6 delicious portions from this excellent budget soup!
I love cooking with chorizo as it's so full of flavour.
Whilst it can be quite a fatty meat, this chorizo yellow split pea soup only uses a very small amount.
The yellow split peas easily absorb all those delicious smoky meaty flavours.
You can taste those flavours with every mouthful you take.
Soups like this are such a great way to get bags of flavour out of small pieces of meat.
Not just that, soups like this are a great way to help you to lose weight too!
I often talk about how I changed my diet and lifestyle and started making everything from scratch.
That included eating soup every day for lunch instead of sandwiches.
If you're looking to make similar changes to your lifestyle this year, then check out my Free Simple Soups eCookbook and subscribe to receive lots more recipes like these!
- Yellow Split Peas
- Chorizo Sausage
- Chicken Stock
- Salt & Pepper
- Fresh Parsley
See recipe card for quantities.
- Yellow Split Peas - none, you need this for the base of the soup.
- Chorizo Sausage - none, you need this for the flavours.
- Onions - any kind of cooking onion will do here.
- Carrots - any kind of cheap carrots will do here.
- Chicken Stock - a good quality chicken stock. If you can make your own even better!
- Salt & Pepper - freshly grated sea salt and black pepper corns are best for flavour.
- Fresh Parsley - you can omit this or substitute with fresh coriander.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, Bloglovin & YouTube.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
What Do Yellow Split Peas Taste Like?
Yellow split peas have an earthy sweet flavour. On their own they can taste a bit bland, but as a base for a soup they can absorb and enhance the soups flavours.
Is Chorizo Yellow Split Pea Soup Healthy?
- Only a very small amount of chorizo is used in this chorizo yellow split pea soup recipe.
- Yellow split peas are the dried version of fresh sweet peas and are highly nutritious and healthy.
- Split peas are a member of the pulse family. Pulses are a group of 12 crops that includes dry beans, dry peas, chickpeas, and lentils.
- Pulses are a great source of iron and fibre.
- You'll get 21g of protein per serving of this yellow split pea soup.
- Eating a diet with more pulses in can help reduce the risk of heart disease and type 2 diabetes.
What goes well with split pea soup?
As a suggestion why not serve this soup with a couple of slices of wholemeal bread or my easy multigrain bread?
For This Chorizo Yellow Split Pea Soup You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product, I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through, then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
This is the set of pans I recommend for cooking with.
The set includes 16, 18, 20 cm saucepans, 1 x 14 cm milk pan and 1 x 24 cm fry pan.
The pans are suitable for all hobs including induction.
They come with a 1-year guarantee which can be extended to a 10-year warranty when you register the product.
Other Popular Chorizo Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- You’ll love the smell of this chorizo, tomato, lentil and kale soup as it permeates your kitchen and house when the chorizo is releasing its juices. And as for the taste, well it’s just a complete taste sensation!
- The amazing flavours of this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup combine to form a deliciously warming winter soup. This low calorie soup is both filling and satisfying too.
- Tomato and chorizo soup is the perfect winter warmer. Vibrant and bursting with flavour, this easy low cost rustic soup is just what you need when it’s cold outside!
Chorizo Yellow Split Pea Soup Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 300 g yellow split peas
- 50 g Chorizo Sausage finely chopped
- 2 medium sized diced onions.
- 3 medium sized diced carrots peeled
- 1.5 L chicken stock home-made or from a stock cube
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Chopped fresh parsley
- Soak the yellow split peas overnight or for at least 6 hours in cold water. Drain and rinse.
- In a large saucepan heat the chopped chorizo stirring it around to release its juices. Do this for about 2 minutes and then remove the chorizo from the pan with a slotted spoon and set aside.
- Add the diced onions and diced carrots to the chorizo juices in the pan and sauté until soft, about 8 minutes or so.
- Once the onions and carrots are soft add back the chopped chorizo as well as all of the pre-soaked yellow split peas, mix together, and then add the 1.5 litres of chicken stock.
- Simmer for about 1 hour until all the vegetables are soft. Stirring the pot occasionally.
- Switch off the heat and allow the soup to cool a little.
- Puree the soup in batches and put back in a saucepan.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve garnished with parsley.
Nutritional information provided below is calculated using paid for online tools and the exact ingredients and quantities used above.
Rate The Recipe
If you’ve made this chorizo yellow split pea soup recipe, or any other recipes on Neil's Healthy Meals, then please let me know.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Matt - Total Feasts
You had me at the calories per serving, as the Christmas season has not been kind to my waistline. I do love Spanish chorizo and I also love split pea soup, so this is a great mashup!
I'm totally with you there Matt. I'm not so bad with what I've eaten this year, more so the amount of wine I drank. Definitely on the wagon now! 🙂
David @ Spiced
We're definitely heading into soup season for lunch (and sometimes dinner) here, too. You had me with the smoky flavor, and this soup totally needs to appear in my kitchen soon. It sounds delicious! I hope you and Lynne had a wonderful New Year, and here's to 2020. Cheers, my friend!
The rain is chucking it down here David. It has been for a while now so it might be soup season for a good few days!
Oh well at least I've got plenty of this soup stashed in the fridge for days like these. 🙂
We had a great festive season David and I hope you guys did too. Here's to a happy and healthy 2020!
I love a good pea soup and adding chorizo is always a good idea - it adds so much flavour! Happy New Year, Neil, and thanks for the inspiration!
Thanks Katerina. Adding the chorizo here definitely takes the soup up a good few notches! Happy New Year to you too! 🙂
Jeff the Chef
I applaud you on making a healthy and delicious soup, Neil. But I would eat an entire baguette by dunking it into this delicious and creamy looking soup. Can't help myself!
A baguette would definitely be a great way of making sure all that delicious soup from your soup bowl was eaten up Jeff. Maybe not the entire soup pot though! 😆
Happy New Year!
Neil - I love the way you made this soup! I’m all for adding smaller amounts of big flavors, like chorizo, because that’s all you need to create tremendous taste! And legumes are perfect for any meal. I can’t get enough! Hope you have a nice break and thanks for the recipe! I’m going to have to look for yellow split peas, don’t think I’ve ever cooked with them!
You might find that yellow split peas are just known as "split peas" there in the U.S. Laura? But yes it's great to use just small amounts of meat to produce big flavours. I love that about using Chorizo! Thanks!
I expected to see slices of chorizo in the soup! But I like what you did here! A wonderful combination.
It is a lovely rich, tasty creamy combination isn't it Mimi? Thanks for the comment!
Ok, this is one amazing soup! The color is just fabulous! So gorgeous. I had no idea that yellow split peas are dried fresh sweet peas, that is so fascinating! No wonder they are so delicious. Wish I had a bowl of this lovely soup now!
This is a perfect soup for winter Shannon. Hope you get a chance to make it!