The amazing flavours of this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup combine to form a deliciously warming winter soup. This low calorie soup is both filling and satisfying too.
Hey folks, let me firstly wish you a very Happy New Year!
To all of you who are new subscribers since the launch of my FREE Simple Soups eCookbook a very big welcome to your first email delivered recipe!
This sweet potato, garlic and chorizo soup was due to be published in my first eCookbook but I didn’t have the space to include it. I thought a cookbook containing 11 soup recipes would be odd, so I left it at 10.
However, as this is a great soup recipe which is both tasty and very easy to make I wanted to share with you all!
As the aim and theme of the majority of my recipes is an excellent quick healthy meal – this is perfect.
Ever since I published the first recipe, the chorizo and lentil stew , which used the method of releasing the juices from chorizo to cook with instead of adding an additional oil, I’ve been hooked on that method and those flavours.
You’ll see what I mean when you make this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup recipe yourself.
It makes your kitchen smell absolutely amazing!
You only need to use very small pieces of chorizo.
So although that type of Spanish sausage can be quite fatty, the amount I’m using here is only 5% of your total daily fat allowance and 7% of your saturated fat allowance.
When I buy chorizo from my local supermarket I cut it up into 50g pieces and freeze those I don’t need as here at Neil’s Healthy Meals we’re all about being budget-conscious!
I calculated that the combined cost of making the 6 servings of this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup came to just under £5 (just over $6 U.S. as I write this).
As with all of my home-made soups this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup is easily freezable providing Lady Lynne and I with a stack of pre-made soups ready to take to work as packed lunches.
We’re both lucky enough to have microwaves at our places of work in order to be able to heat our soups up, but it could easily be taken in a flask too.
Lady Lynne and I are frugal all year round when it comes to money because we prefer to spend our money on our holidays and trips away, where we can spend time with friends and visit places and sights we’ve never been to before.
Making our own home made soups and cooking nearly everything from scratch means not only saving money and eating healthily but getting more from less i.e. we have more money to do the things we really want.
All part of the 80/20 rule and way of life.
Hogmanay At Lochside Lodge
This year’s Hogmanay getaway was no exception as we spent several days with our friends Liam and Catherine in a fantastic luxury lodge (centre one in photo above) situated near Dunning in Perthshire.
Just chilling out, chatting away, having a few drinks and of course eating home made food was the order of the day.
It’s becoming traditional now that Liam and I both make our Hogmanay pies as the main meal on 1st January to celebrate the coming of the New Year.
Dunning had lots of places to walk around too, to keep us active with all the eating we were doing!
There’s remains of a Roman camp nearby to explore.
The Lodge and area were so nice that I can even overlook the fact that the Wi-Fi, although being advertised as available, didn’t actually work at all!!
Anyway, onwards and upwards with 2017 now!
Enjoy this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup, let me know what you think of the recipe in the comments below, and here’s to a very healthy and happy 2017! 😀
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Recipes Using Chorizo You Might Also Like
- Chorizo and lentil Stew is so tasty. It’s an all in one pot, quick healthy meal for all the family. It’s one of our favourites and we’re pretty sure it’ll be one of yours soon too!
- Chorizo, tomato, lentil and kale soup is delicious and stuffed full of goodness. It’s just a complete taste sensation!
- Chorizo Bolognese with lentils is a simple 30 minute lightly spiced quick healthy lentil chorizo dinner recipe. It’s a delicious budget bolognese recipe that will easily feed a family of 4.
Sweet Potato Garlic and Chorizo Soup Recipe
Not only is this sweet potato garlic chorizo soup delicious and low calorie but you’ll find the smell of it whilst it’s cooking intoxicating!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Sweet Potato Garlic And Chorizo Soup
- 50 g chorizo chopped into small 0.5cm pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp. mild curry powder
- 1 Kg peeled chopped sweet potatoes
- 1.5 L vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan, large enough to hold 1.5L of liquid.
- Add the chopped chorizo, stir them around in the pan for a few minutes to release their juices. When chorizo has browned remove the pieces from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and set them aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté in the chorizo juices until softened, about 3 mins.
- Add the curry powder and stir it in for a few seconds to release the flavours.
- Add the potatoes, stir for a minute then add the stock and bring the mixture to the boil. Turn down to simmer for 30 – 35 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Blend in a food processor or blender and then return to the pan.
- Season to taste, add back the pieces of chopped chorizo and serve.