The amazing flavours of this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup combine to form a deliciously warming winter soup. This low calorie soup is both filling and satisfying too.
Hey folks, let me firstly wish you a very Happy New Year!
To all of you who are new subscribers since the launch of my FREE Simple Soups eCookbook a very big welcome to your first email delivered recipe!
This sweet potato, garlic and chorizo soup was due to be published in my first eCookbook but I didn't have the space to include it. I thought a cookbook containing 11 soup recipes would be odd, so I left it at 10.
However, as this is a great chorizo soup recipe which is both tasty and very easy to make I wanted to share with you all!
As the aim and theme of the majority of my recipes is an excellent quick healthy meal - this is perfect.
Ever since I published the first recipe, the chorizo and lentil stew , which used the method of releasing the juices from chorizo to cook with instead of adding an additional oil, I've been hooked on that method and those flavours.
You'll see what I mean when you make this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup recipe yourself.
It makes your kitchen smell absolutely amazing!
You only need to use very small pieces of chorizo.
So although that type of Spanish sausage can be quite fatty, the amount I'm using here is only 5% of your total daily fat allowance and 7% of your saturated fat allowance.
When I buy chorizo from my local supermarket I cut it up into 50g pieces and freeze those I don't need as here at Neil's Healthy Meals we're all about being budget-conscious!
So, not only can you make plenty of this chorizo and sweet potato soup, but you can also make the chorizo recipe I mentioned above, and those I mention below too!
I calculated that the combined cost of making the 6 servings of this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup came to just under £5 (just over $6 U.S. as I write this).
As with all of my home-made soups this sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup is easily freezable providing my other half and I with a stack of pre-made soups ready to take to work as packed lunches.
We're both lucky enough to have microwaves at our places of work in order to be able to heat our soups up, but it could easily be taken in a flask too.
I'm never without one of my home-made wholemeal rolls to go with my soup at lunch either. That helps to make sure that I mop up every last drop of this tasty sweet potato and chorizo soup!
Making our own home made soups and cooking nearly everything from scratch means not only saving money and eating healthily but getting more from less i.e. we have more money to do the things we really want.
All part of the 80/20 rule and way of life!
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Recipes Using Chorizo You Might Also Like
- Chorizo, tomato, lentil and kale soup is delicious and stuffed full of goodness. It’s just a complete taste sensation!
- Tomato and chorizo soup is the perfect winter warmer. Vibrant and bursting with flavour, this easy low cost rustic soup is just what you need when it’s cold outside!
- Chorizo Bolognese with lentils is a simple 30 minute lightly spiced quick healthy lentil chorizo dinner recipe. It’s a delicious budget bolognese recipe that will easily feed a family of 4.
Sweet Potato Garlic and Chorizo Soup Recipe
Not only is this sweet potato garlic chorizo soup delicious and low calorie but you'll find the smell of it whilst it's cooking intoxicating!
This is a fantastic comforting soup. One you'll definitely want to add to your list of winter soup recipes.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Sweet Potato Garlic And Chorizo Soup Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 50 g chorizo chopped into small 0.5cm pieces
- 1 large onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tsp. mild curry powder
- 1 Kg peeled chopped sweet potatoes
- 1.5 L vegetable stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large saucepan, large enough to hold 1.5L of liquid.
- Add the chopped chorizo, stir them around in the pan for a few minutes to release their juices. When chorizo has browned remove the pieces from the saucepan with a slotted spoon and set them aside.
- Add the onion and garlic and sauté in the chorizo juices until softened, about 3 mins.
- Add the curry powder and stir it in for a few seconds to release the flavours.
- Add the potatoes, stir for a minute then add the stock and bring the mixture to the boil. Turn down to simmer for 30 – 35 minutes until the sweet potatoes are tender.
- Blend in a food processor or blender and then return to the pan.
- Season to taste, add back the pieces of chopped chorizo and serve.