Curried red lentil soup is a tasty soul warming soup that can be on the table in just one hour! This heart healthy soup serves 4 and is easy to make too!
Folks, if you’re feeling in need of a bowl of soup that gives you a hug then this curried red lentil soup is just the thing!
This is a tasty and filling, yet delicately spiced bowl of nourishment.
Easy to make and made with basic healthy ingredients this red lentil soup doesn’t cost a lot either.
If you’ve just returned from a holiday like we have, or are still feeling the pinch in January then you’ll definitely want to add this to your list of favourite basic budget soups!
Yes, Lady Lynne and I have just returned from a wonderful one week winter break in Cape Verde.
There was no mountain climbing this time, unlike our epic trip last year climbing Kilimanjaro.
Nope! Whilst we did take a one day trip around the island, the rest of our time was spent lying by a pool, reading our books, sipping cocktails and discussing what food we were going to have at the next meal from the amazing buffet!
We do have some more amazing travel adventures planned for later this year though.
In fact we’re booked up to explore some of the mountain areas in the tropical island of Bali. As well as a three day stopover at Hong Kong first.
Oh and we’re doing The Cumbria Way in May. That’s first.
But anyway, more later in the year about that………
Back to this tasty curried red lentil soup.
I’ll just say that when you go from temperatures of near 27 degrees C, to near zero and snow after a 6 hour flight you crave warm comforting food.
All I could think of as the cold winter climate of Britain took its hold on me when we stepped off the aircraft was a bowl of this thick and heartening curried red lentil soup!
Why This Curried Red Lentil Soup Is Good For You
- Lentils are packed with protein and have less saturated fat and cholesterol than beef, poultry or fish. This is said to make them a better protein choice.
- Protein isn’t the only nutritional benefit you’ll receive when eating lentils though. They’re also packed with vital minerals like iron, potassium, phosphorous, zinc, folate and niacin.
- Lentils are also rich in soluble fibre, which can help to reduce or prevent high blood cholesterol levels.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Lentil Based Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- Healthy carrot and lentil soup is a simple, tasty and filling bowl of deliciousness! Vegan and gluten free, it takes just a few budget ingredients and spices to create this hearty quick healthy soup!
- Sweet potato and red lentil soup is a delicious and easy recipe. This healthy vegan and gluten free soup is a perfect filler that never fails to please.
- Easy Scottish lentil soup is the authentic healthy red lentil soup from Scotland. This simple soup is filling, comforting and perfect for cold weather days!
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Folks, I hope you enjoy this amazing flavoursome curried red lentil soup recipe!
I also nearly forgot to mention that its vegetarian, gluten free and easily freezable too.
If you’re looking for more easy budget recipes like this then look no further than next Thursday when I’ll be bringing you a simple tuna tomato pasta dinner recipe.
Hope you can join me then!
Curried Red Lentil Soup Recipe
Not only is this soup extremely healthy and low calorie but you’ll find the smell of it whilst it’s cooking intoxicating!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Curried Red Lentil Soup
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion finely diced
- 1 stick celery finely diced
- 2 medium carrots peeled and coarsely grated
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 ½ teaspoons medium curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Pinch chilli flakes
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 200 g red split lentils
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 125 ml milk
- 1 tbsp coriander freshly chopped
- Gently heat the oil in a large soup pot and add the onion and celery to soften it, stirring occasionally for about 2 – 3 minutes. Then stir in the carrot and garlic for a further 1 minute.
- Add the salt, curry powder, turmeric, cumin and chilli flakes with a few grinds of black pepper. Stir to combine all.
- Add the lentils and vegetable stock
- Stir well, bring to the boil and turn down to simmer gently for 20 –25 minutes until all the mixture is completely softened. Remove from the heat.
- When the soup has cooled a little stir in the milk and season to taste.
- Serve in bowls, garnished with the coriander.