Tuna tomato pasta is a delicious healthy and easy recipe that only takes 20 minutes to make. With just a few basic ingredients it's budget friendly too!
Folks, this tuna tomato pasta is a great recipe if you're still feeling the pinch after all the extravagance of Christmas.
Also, it's relatively healthy too as long as you're using wholemeal pasta as per the recipe rather than white pasta.
Made with canned tuna, canned tomatoes and fresh basil this tomato tuna pasta recipe makes a perfect delicious budget meal.
One that can easily be cooked up when you're busy and got lots of things going on!
This tuna tomato pasta is suitable for lunch or dinner.
Just alter your portion sizes depending on which meal you serve it for.
You could easily cook this up for dinner and take any "leftovers" into work to heat up for your lunch?
I say "leftovers" as that really is a rarity in our house. Even though there's just the two of us.
Well there's actually three in our house if you include Begbie, our cat. He eats nearly everything and probably would dive into this pasta if we let him!
My other half and I always have stocks of essentials in our kitchen cupboards like pasta, tinned tomatoes and tinned tuna.
Its great how essentials like those come in handy when you're least prepared.
You can easily make tasty dishes like this quick easy tuna tomato pasta!
What's your quick "go to recipe" that you always have a stock of ingredients for in your kitchen?
- Whole What Conchiglie
- Olive Oil
- Can Chopped Tomatoes
- Canned Tuna In Spring Water
- Fresh Basil
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)
See recipe card for the actual quantites of the tuna and tomato pasta recipe ingredients.
- Whole What Conchiglie - For this tuna tomato pasta recipe you can of course use any type of pasta. That will make this recipe less healthier and change the nutritional label.
- Olive Oil - olive oil works best. You could use vegetable oil or low calorie oil spray too.
- Onion - I just use a normal brown onion. A red onion would work too.
- Can Chopped Tomatoes - if you can't get canned, used diced tomatoes or you could make your own marinara sauce from fresh tomatoes. Or tomato passata will also work
- Canned Tuna In Spring Water - if you can't get tuna in spring water you can use tuna in olive oil instead.
- Fresh Basil - you could use fresh parsley instead.
- Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese (optional)
🔪 How to Make This Tuna Tomato Pasta
Detailed instructions for this healthy tuna pasta recipe are in the full recipe card below. But here is a quick step by step guide of how to quickly make this tuna tomato pasta:
- Get your chosen pasta shapes on first. Cook as per package directions until al dente.
- Whilst your pasta cooks saute your onion then add your tomotoes to make your tomato sauce.
- Stir in your tuna, then your cooked pasta and chopped basil. Season with a little salt and black pepper.
- Divide the tuna tomato pasta between two serving bowls and top with the grated parmesan. Bellissimo!
💭 Why You'll Love Tuna Tomato Pasta
- As far as easy recipes go this is the best. Just a 6 ingredient list of storecupboard items is all that's required for this pasta dish.
- It only takes 20 minutes to make proving healthy recipes don't have to take ages to get on the dinner table. Ideal for a busy weeknight.
- All budget low cost ingredients are used. A great recipe for saving those pennies.
- Versatile. The basic recipe can be easily changed. You can add extra vegetables like frozen peas or sweetcorn. Spice it up a little with some garlic cloves and chili flakes or add black olives, serve with a white wine and you've got some great Italian cuisine!
- Pasta is just one of the best comfort foods!
How To Store Leftovers?
Keep any leftover in an airtight container in the fridge. You can easily reheat in your microwave or on your stovetop.
Can You Freeze Tuna Tomato Pasta?
You can freeze the tuna tomato sauce. Just defrost it thoroughly first before using.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
🍴 Other Popular Pasta Recipes You Might Also Like
- Easy pasta arrabiata recipe is a simple quick healthy meal for four made in less than half an hour. When you’re short on time, but still want those classic Mediterranean flavours, this delicious dish will satisfy all those needs with minimal fuss and effort.
- Chilli pasta is a quick and easy healthy family meal. Vegetarian, with kidney beans substituted for meat, it’s full of fibre and goodness. Plus it takes just under one hour to serve.
- Tuna pasta and sweetcorn salad makes for a perfect quick healthy meal. Made with a low calorie dressing and packed with delicious fresh salad ingredients its also great as a packed lunch option too.
- Easy curry pasta is a simple to make quick healthy meal. This delicious recipe is perfect for busy family weeknights and will soon have everyone satisfied and full!
- Tuna linguine is a delicious quick and easy weeknight meal. This canned tuna recipe makes for the perfect budget family meal to fill everyone up!
📋 Tuna Tomato Pasta Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 125 g Whole wheat Conchiglie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion thinly sliced
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 x 160g cans of tuna spring water drained
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated parmesan
- Place the pasta in a saucepan of boiling, salted water and cook as per the packet instructions, then drain. While the pasta is cooking continue with the rest of the recipe.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium sized saucepan, add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes then add the tomatoes and cook for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add the drained tuna and stir until warmed through. Then add the drained pasta and freshly chopped basil.
- Divide between two serving bowls and top with the grated parmesan.
- Serve with a fresh green salad of lettuce, cucumber and spring onions.
🧾 Nutrition Label
Nutritional information provided below is calculated using paid for online tools and the exact ingredients and quantities used above.
⭐ Rate The Recipe
If you’ve made this fresh tuna tomato pasta recipe, or any other recipes on Neil's Healthy Meals, then please let me know.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂