Easy British baked beans. Homemade tasty baked beans in just 15 minutes from just 5 ingredients. So much healthier than canned beans!
This easy british baked beans recipe is one you can easily make from just a handful of store cupboard ingredients.
You can choose to have your British baked beans on toast for lunch (my favourite) or as part of a full English breakfast.
Baked beans also make the perfect side dish and are also an excellent filling for a baked jacket potato.
These baked beans are suitable for vegetarian diets and can easily be made vegan (see below).
Baked beans are often the ultimate comfort food. But rather than shop bought ones this great recipe means you can easily make your own!
This best British baked beans recipe serves 2 but the quantities can easily be changed to cater for more and for the whole family.
I find that making my own homemade baked beans is actually often cheaper than buying canned ones (Heinz being the most famous).
Not only that if you actually look closely at a tin of Heinz british baked beans ingredients you'll see that it contains sugar.
Here I replace the sugar with a couple of teaspoons of honey. That's all that you need to sweeten it up a little.
You can choose to leave the honey out of course or put more in if you want it sweeter.
This British baked beans recipe can also easily be made Vegan by substituting the honey with a suitable vegan alternative.
- Tomato Passata
- Tomato Paste
- Smoked Paprika
- Cannellini Beans
- Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
See recipe card for quantities.
Detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. But here is a quick step by step guide of how to make these easy British baked beans:
- Heat the tomato passata and tomato paste together in a saucepan until warmed.
- Stir in the honey and smoked paprika. Continue to heat gently.
- Stir in canellini beans into sauce.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add extra honey if required.
- Serve your baked beans on toast (or how you would like them!)
- Tomato Passata - any kind of pureed tomatoes will do.
- Tomato Paste - any kind of basic tomato paste will do. Add more if you want to increase the sauce thickness.
- Honey - to make vegan use an alternative like maple syrup. If you use sugar this will change the nutritional label.
- Smoked Paprika - you could omit but it gives the beans their unique flavour.
- Cannellini Beans - I use tinned Cannellini beans to make this quick and easy recipe. Tinned haricot beans and jarred navy beans will also work. As will dried beans (see FAQ's).
- Salt And Freshly Ground Black Pepper
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
What's The Difference Between British Baked Beans and American Beans?
British baked beans are made without meat in a tomato sauce. American baked beans are cooked with molasses, pork and brown sugar so their sauce is much sweeter and thicker.
Can I Use Dried Beans to Make These Baked Beans?
Yes. This will take longer though. You will need to soak your dried beans in a large bowl covered in cold water for roughly 8 - 10 hours.
Then rinse them thoroughly before using. The cooking time will be longer so I suggest cooking over a medium heat and stirring often.
How Long Do Homemade Baked Beans Last?
Store any leftover British baked beans in an airtight container in the fridge for 2 - 3 days maxiumum.
Can I Freeze Baked Beans?
Yes. You can easily make these beans and freeze them. I like to make a batch and divide them into individual containers and then freeze.
How To Reheat Baked Beans?
These baked beans can easily be re-heated gently on your stove in a small saucepan. Or in a bowl, covered in a microwave.
More Bean Recipes For You To Try
Easy British Baked Beans Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 140 g tomato passata
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon honey*
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 400 g can cannellini beans in water drained and rinsed
- Salt and Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- Place the tomato passata and tomato paste in a medium sized saucepan and heat gently for a couple of minutes until warmed.
- Stir in the honey and smoked paprika and continue heating gently until sauce thickens and begins to simmer.
- Once the sauce is simmering stir in the beans and cook for 4 to 5 minutes stirring every now and then.
- Season to taste and serve on toast.
Nutritional information provided below is calculated using paid for online tools and the exact ingredients and quantities used above.
Rate The Recipe
If you’ve made this easy British baked beans recipe, or any other recipes on Neil's Healthy Meals, then please let me know.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂