Easy healthier coleslaw is the perfect side for your BBQ’s and salads. Made with a lower calorie dressing this creamy coleslaw serves up to 8 people. It still has the same great taste as classic full fat coleslaw too!
Folks, here I show you how to make your own homemade coleslaw without all the unnecessary unhealthy additions you might get in a shop bought version.
Supermarket coleslaw dressing often contains added sugar, salt and unhealthy hydrogenated oils. Check out the ingredient labels yourself next time you’re in your local store.
The best decision is to make coleslaw and a healthy dressing yourself. That way you can be sure you get the greatest health benefits. Avoiding those unhealthy unnecessary ingredients.
Besides, coleslaw really is relatively simple, fun and easy to make!
To make your own easy healthier coleslaw you need red and white heads of cabbage, red onion and a couple of carrots. I also added in some chopped up spring onions that needed used up.
I made the lower calorie dressing with reduced fat mayonnaise. Then combined that with other store cupboard condiments.
It’s easy enough to assemble this bowl of tasty coleslaw together in minutes. However if you can prepare it a few hours in advance that gives all the flavours time to marinate making it even better!
Coleslaw is also easy on the budget too. It makes an excellent “filler”. That means you don’t have to go overboard buying lots of different kinds of meats at your BBQ. .
Whilst this easy healthier coleslaw is perfect for your BBQ’s or salad, it’s perfect for all year round too!
If you’ve got any left over then there are so many other ways you could use it up, such as……
Ways To Use This Easy Healthier Coleslaw
- Makes a delicious filling to liven up all kinds of sandwiches, e.g cheese or turkey.
- Is an excellent accompaniment for any leftover chicken that you might have.
- Goes really well with chips or as an extra side with potato salad.
- Add to your burgers and/or hot dogs instead of fried onions or cheese to save on calories!
Easy Healthier Coleslaw Recipe
Of course coleslaw doesn’t have to be just made from cabbage either. You could try using other vegetables here as well. Especially ones you might be looking to use up, like shredded broccoli or green onion?
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Easy healthier coleslaw is the perfect side for your BBQ's and salads. Made with a lower calorie dressing this creamy coleslaw serves up to 8 people. It still has the same great taste as classic full fat coleslaw too!
- 125 ml low calorie mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp wholegrain mustard
- 2 tsp runny honey
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 170 g head white cabbage shredded
- 200 g head red cabbage shredded
- 2 carrots peeled and grated
- 1/2 red onion thinly sliced
- 4 spring onions sliced
- Whisk together mayonnaise, lemon juice, cider vinegar, mustard and honey in a small bowl, then season to taste.
- Put all of the coleslaw ingredients in to a bowl and mix well. Pour over the dressing and again mix well. Serve immediately or place in the fridge and until required.
Looking for another fantastic coleslaw recipe for you to try? Then be sure to check out my Cabbage and Radish Slaw!
Right folks, so what’s up next week? Well on Tuesday it’s a super easy One Pot Sweet Potato and Chickpea Curry.
Have a great weekend and I’ll catch you next week!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.