Healthy banana and walnut loaf is the perfect accompaniment to your coffee/tea break. It’s delicious and easy to make with a superb moist texture. Filled with crunchy walnuts it’s also a great budget cake for sharing with friends!
Folks, this is a fantastic simple recipe showing you how to make a healthy banana and walnut loaf cake.
My easy loaf cake recipes seem to have become very popular. Especially my Cherry Bakewell Loaf Cake.
Check out the photographs attached to the Cherry Bakewell Loaf Cake Pinterest Pin. They are superb!
So, based on the popularity of that, that’s why today I’m bringing you this new loaf cake recipe. Who knows, it could become as popular as that recipe! 🙂
I got inspired for this healthy banana and walnut loaf from an advertising board. It was advertising a similar cake outside a coffee shop on my way home from work in Glasgow.
If you’ve been a regular follower of the blog for some years now (thank you!) you’ll recall I wrote about how I like to do a lot of walking in the How We Follow the 80/20 Rule For Eating post. That includes walking to and from work most days, when weather permits!
So I thought I’d give this cake a whirl. Plus try and see if I could make it a bit more healthy by using no butter and less sugar too.
I’ve based much of this recipe on my earlier but trusted banana bread recipe.
I mean why reinvent the wheel when there’s already a recipe that’s perfectly simple and works?
The result was a fantastic tasty moist banana and walnut loaf. A masterpiece (in my humble opinion). 😉
As usual Lynne taste-tested this recipe first. Then I took a batch into work for my colleagues to try and it was all gone within an hour! That’s pretty good validation don’t you think?
Healthy Banana and Walnut Loaf Tips
- You can freeze this banana and walnut loaf cake.
- Before freezing cut it into 15 slices. This makes it easier to take out individual slices when required.
- Using oil and yogurt instead of butter in this banana and walnut loaf helps to cut the calories and fat out. Thus making it a healthy version!
- If you’re not freezing this loaf cake it’ll keep in an airtight container for 2 to 3 days.
Healthy Banana and Walnut Loaf Recipe
This recipe is perfect for using up old bananas and overripe bananas. Those that perhaps don’t look as appetising as they used to!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Healthy banana and walnut loaf is the perfect accompaniment to your coffee/tea break. It's delicious and easy to make with a superb moist texture. Filled with crunchy walnuts it's also a great budget cake for sharing with friends!
- 150 g self-raising flour
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½. tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 125 g caster sugar
- 85 g chopped walnuts
- 2 large ripe bananas
- 200 g no fat Greek yogurt or natural yogurt
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and grease a 20cm x 12.5cm / 8” x 5” loaf tin. I usually just spray a couple of times with low cal cooking spray and spread that around with a piece of kitchen towel. Line the tin with greaseproof paper allowing it hang over the edges.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients, the flours, bicarbonate of soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar and walnuts into a large mixing bowl, or stand mixer bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients by mashing the bananas first with a potato masher or fork, then add the yogurt, eggs and oil then mix together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the larger bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold all of the ingredients together either using the stand mixer paddle attachment or a spatula.
- Pour cake mixture into loaf tin and bake for 30 - 40 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin before removing and transferring to a wire baking rack to cool completely.
- Once completely cooled store in an airtight container.
Another healthy loaf cake recipe that you might like to try is my Lighter Lemon Loaf Cake. That too was based on a similar recipe I saw in another well established high street coffee chain!
Back to this week though. On Thursday, an Easy Healthier Coleslaw recipe. Perfect for summer salads and BBQ’s it’s superbly creamy tasting too. Lady Lynne and I have been really enjoying that recipe. Especially with the great weather we’ve been having!
Hope you can join me Thursday! 🙂
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.