Hawaiian banana bread pudding is my healthier take on the delicious traditional bread and butter pudding. With a golden crust and classic flavours this is a simple and comforting pudding that just tastes so indulgent!
Folks, I could not wait to recreate this Hawaiian banana bread pudding for you as soon as my other half and I returned home from our trip to Hawaii.
Now, don't get me wrong, we didn't actually want to come home from that holiday (like any other holiday) as we were having so much fun.
However, at least I knew when we did, I had this AMAZING pudding to recreate to share with you all and to remind both of us of that amazing trip.
This pudding really packs a huge punch of banana and vanilla flavours from every single mouthful that you devour!
It's no secret that I'm a big fan of bread puddings.
Check out the chocolate chip and vanilla bread and butter pudding we had at our wedding that I recreated and you'll understand why.
So, when at the traditional luau I approached a table creatively decorated with bananas and pineapples with this banana bread pudding in the middle my excitement and salivation levels basically hit the roof!
One plateful was not enough, I just had to have two. Excess I know, but I was on holiday!
I think I've talked enough about our trip to Hawaii and San Francisco for now.
Those of you who are regular newsletter followers (if you're not please subscribe below) know we both love our holidays and trips away and we also love to share all about them (and the food!) here with you too.
We do that because we want to inspire you to live a life of experiencing new places and cultures rather than accumulating material possessions or wealth. That's what we try to do.
Research shows that travel broadens the mind and makes us happy and in my book that's key to living a successful and fulfilling life.
We've already started planning our next major trip to climb Kilimanjaro. We've been saving for it and should be able to book it early next year, as long as we've no major hick-ups.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Dessert Recipes You Might Also Like
- Healthy banana pudding is an easy five ingredient alternative to the original recipe. This dessert recipe is made with semolina and is absolutely delicious!
- Lemon crunch cheesecake is a delicious no bake cheesecake recipe. It’s simple, low cost and easy to make. With an amazing zingy refreshing lemon flavour all it requires is a bit of time to set in your fridge.
- Gluten free sticky toffee pudding is absolutely delicious! Here I’ve given this classic indulgent British pudding favourite a makeover so it’s easy to make and with less calories too!
- This easy banana pudding recipe is just what you need for using up ripe bananas. It's a delicious and comforting dessert made in under an hour!
Hawaiian Banana Bread Pudding Recipe
The great thing is that bread puddings like this Hawaiian banana bread pudding are simple to make and can be relatively healthy if you use healthier / lower calorie ingredients as I have done here.
This banana bread pudding is also a great way to use up ripe bananas and stale white bread.
It's basically two layers of white bread which absorb all the milky vanilla banana flavours and then firm up to form a pudding when baked.
Delicious served with vanilla ice cream over the top and pineapple chunks!
I’d also love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Hawaiian Banana Bread Pudding Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 25 g Unsalted butter , softened
- 2 large eggs
- 350 ml skimmed milk
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas , mashed
- 6 slices of thick white bread , crusts removed*
- Lightly coat a baking dish with a little of the butter.
- In large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, sugar and vanilla extract.
- Add mashed bananas and whisk to a smooth consistency.
- Butter the bread with the remaining butter and place one layer of bread, buttered side up in the bottom of the baking dish. Cut the bread to size to fit.
- Cover the buttered bread by pouring in the banana mixture then let sit for about 10 minutes so bread absorbs some of the liquid.
- Add the next layer of bread buttered side up, and pour over the remaining banana mixture.
- Leave in fridge uncovered for 2 hours.
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C Fan.
- Place a thick layer of newspaper in the bottom of a roasting tin. Place the bread dish on top of the newspaper and pour in enough room temperature water, into the roasting tin, to come half way up the outside of the pudding dish.
- Place in the centre of the oven and bake for 50 – 60 minutes until golden brown on top.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes until the pudding becomes firmer.
- Serve warm. Delicious with vanilla ice cream.