Healthy eggs benedict. Here, the delicious and classic eggs benedict has been given a healthy makeover. A creamy yogurt hollandaise sauce replaces butter with lean turkey bacon and home made lower fat English muffins.
Ready in less than an hour, this healthy eggs benedict is still the prefect indulgent brunch that we all enjoy, but much less calorific!
Lynne and I love this healthier version as a weekend brunch, especially after we’ve got back from the gym on a Saturday morning.
This is how we do it……..
How To Assemble Your Healthy Eggs Benedict
1. Make the healthy hollandaise sauce. (It can be re-heated)
2. Make my fresh quick English Muffins.
3. Grill the bacon.
4. Toast the English Muffins.
5. Poach the eggs.
6. Place a slice of bacon on top of each toasted muffin.
7. Place a poached egg on the bacon.
8. Serve topped with the healthy hollandaise sauce and some freshly grated black pepper.
9. Enjoy the deliciousness.
So, not only are we enjoying this healthy well-earned brunch together, but the eggs are giving us a pretty good protein fix to repair those well-worked muscles too!
You’ll also see now, the reason for Tuesday’s quick English muffins recipe. It was to give you the first stage of this delicious healthy eggs benedict alternative.
The delicious and classic eggs benedict brunch given a healthy makeover with a creamy yogurt based hollandaise sauce.
- 2 Quick English Muffins cut in half
- 4 turkey bacon rashers
- 4 poached eggs
- 240 ml fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Quarter fill a small saucepan with hot water from a kettle and heat the water to get it simmering.
- In a bowl (one that you can fit on top of the small saucepan, and will not touch the simmering water) beat the yogurt, vinegar and egg yolks together well.
- Put the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and stir continuously until thickened, for approximately 12 – 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, mustard and pepper to own taste, and set aside.
- Grill the turkey bacon and toast the muffins.
- In a medium sized pan of simmering water, poach the eggs, being careful to not overdo them. You want the egg yolks to still be slightly runny, not hard.
- Place a slice of bacon on top of each toasted muffin, place a poached egg on the bacon and then serve topped with the healthy hollandaise sauce and some freshly grated black pepper.
When you make this for yourself or just for 2, you may find you’ve plenty of the healthy hollandaise sauce left over?
No problems! It’ll last in the fridge for 2 – 3 days and is absolutely perfect for using in other dishes too. I’ve already used it, re-heated, over my cajun spiced oven baked chicken with some steamed veggies. Delicious!
What else do you think this sauce might go with?
Right, Thursday it is, so let’s link up with Amanda at Running with Spoons where you can now jump over to there for plenty more excellent recipes, health tips and general blogging articles.
Have a great weekend folks! Lynne and I have plans for lunch and a meeting on Saturday we’re both looking forward to. I’ll tell you all about that Monday! 😉
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.