Healthy eggs benedict. Easy and delicious. The classic recipe has been given a healthy makeover. A creamy yogurt hollandaise sauce replaces butter with lean turkey bacon and home made lower fat English muffins.
Folks you are going to love this healthy eggs benedict recipe!
This was the reason for the quick English muffins recipe. It was to give you the delicious and easy muffins recipe to complete this recipe.
Ready in less than an hour, this healthy eggs breakfast is still the prefect indulgent brunch that we all enjoy, but much less calorific.
We love this healthier version as a weekend brunch. Especially after we’ve got back from the gym on a Saturday morning.
It doesn’t take too long to prepare either.
It’s a fairly easy eggs benedict recipe which can be made in stages. I’ve broken down those stages as a step by step guide further below!
But What is Eggs Benedict?
There are many variations of the eggs benedict recipe. But in its simplest form it’s usually served for breakfast or brunch and is a traditional American dish.
It usually starts with two halves of English muffin, topped with bacon or ham.
Soft poached eggs are placed on top of the meat which are then covered with a rich buttery hollandaise sauce.
In it’s original form it is absolutely delicious but can mean up to 1000 calories consumed in just one meal! This healthy eggs benedict is just over half of that if the recipe below serves 2.
So What Makes This Healthy Eggs Benedict, Healthy?
- Healthier home made English Muffins are used.
- We’ve used turkey bacon which is lower in fat instead of traditional bacon.
- A yogurt healthy hollandaise sauce replaces the traditional rich and buttery hollandaise sauce.
- This replacement sauce is also home made and is a low fat hollandaise sauce.
Here’s our step by step guide to how we put together our healthy eggs benedict brunch…….
Step by Step How To Make Your Healthy Eggs Benedict
1. Make the healthy hollandaise sauce. (It can be re-heated)
2. Make my fresh quick English Muffins.
3. Grill the bacon.
4. Toast the English Muffins.
5. Poach the eggs.
6. Place a slice of bacon on top of each toasted muffin.
7. Place a poached egg on the bacon.
8. Serve topped with the healthy hollandaise sauce and some freshly grated black pepper.
9. Enjoy the deliciousness!
So, not only are we enjoying this healthy well-earned brunch together after our gym workout but the eggs are giving us a pretty good protein fix to repair those well-worked muscles too!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Breakfast Egg Recipes You Might Also Like
- Mediterranean breakfast egg muffins are a delicious and healthy way to start your weekend. This simple, versatile vegetarian recipe is low carb, packed with protein, glutenfree and low in calories too!
- Indian scrambled eggs made the healthy way! Just a few tweaks and spices added to a traditional scrambled egg recipe produces this healthy, top weekend breakfast recipe.
- Smashed avocado and poached eggs on muffins is the perfect healthy breakfast or brunch recipe. Not only that it’s super quick and made completely from scratch!
Healthy Eggs Benedict Recipe
When you make this for yourself or just for 2, you may find you’ve plenty of the healthy hollandaise sauce left over.
No problems! That sauce is an excellent healthy alternative to hollandaise sauce.
It’ll last in the fridge for 2 – 3 days and it’s absolutely perfect for using in other healthy meals too.
I’ve already used it, re-heated, over my cajun spiced oven baked chicken with some steamed veggies. Delicious!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Healthy Eggs Benedict
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 2 Quick English Muffins cut in half
- 4 turkey bacon rashers
- 4 poached eggs
Healthy hollandaise sauce
- 240 ml fat free Greek yogurt
- 1 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 3 egg yolks
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp Dijon mustard
- Freshly ground black pepper
Make the healthy hollandaise sauce.
- Quarter fill a small saucepan with hot water from a kettle and heat the water to get it simmering.
- In a bowl (one that you can fit on top of the small saucepan, and will not touch the simmering water) beat the yogurt, vinegar and egg yolks together well.
- Put the bowl over the saucepan of simmering water and stir continuously until thickened, for approximately 12 – 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the salt, mustard and pepper to own taste, and set aside.
- Grill the turkey bacon and toast the muffins.
- In a medium sized pan of simmering water, poach the eggs, being careful to not overdo them. You want the egg yolks to still be slightly runny, not hard.
- Place a slice of bacon on top of each toasted muffin, place a poached egg on the bacon and then serve topped with the healthy hollandaise sauce and some freshly grated black pepper.