Smashed avocado and poached eggs on muffins is the perfect healthy breakfast or brunch recipe. Not only that it’s super quick and made completely from scratch!
Folks, I think you’re going to love this smashed avocado and poached eggs on muffins recipe!
This delicious meal is packed with protein, healthy fats from the avocado and accompanied with juicy little roasted cherry tomatoes that burst in your mouth. Not only that this will definitely fill you up for longer too!
I’ve seen a few variations of this recipe around the internet but what makes this one totally different is that it’s made with muffins, AND those are made from scratch!
There’s nothing quite like or as satisfying as making a meal (but still a quick healthy one!) from scratch is there?
So, for the muffins we’re going to be using my easy quick English muffins recipe.
If you don’t have time to make those, you can of course buy some good quality shop bought muffins.
I just can’t guarantee that they’ll be as healthy or as tasty though!
I’m so looking forward to making this smashed avocado recipe at the weekend again.
It’s kind of becoming a bit of a staple at the moment for Lady Lynne and I.
It fits rather nicely into our post Saturday gym routine as an excellent brunch.
I make the muffins before we both go so it’s just 30 minutes to get everything on the table when we get back!
Anyway, I’ve broken the recipe down into an easy step by step guide for you below.
How To Make Smashed Avocado And Poached Eggs On Muffins
- Follow the step by step guide in the quick English muffins recipe to make those first. The recipe makes 6 muffins. The muffins don’t need any proving, making them ideal to put together quickly in just over 30 minutes and you can freeze the ones you don’t need for next time.
- The cherry tomatoes just need long enough in the oven for their skins to shrivel and them to be just about ready to burst. Keep them warm until ready to be served though.
- To poach the eggs boil the kettle and pour the water into a small pan. You just want the water about to start simmering, so the heat will be really low under the pan. Crack the eggs into 4 cups first before you put them in the water as that means you won’t break the yolk when the egg enters the water.
- When preparing the avocados, cut them in half, remove the stone and scoop out the flesh. Mash with a fork adding the lime juice.
- Rub the muffins cut surface with a little oil which helps to crisp them when grilling and when crisp top with the avocado mash and poached egg.
- Serve on plates with the roasted cherry tomatoes and serve immediately to keep everything warm.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Fantastic Healthy Egg Breakfast Recipes For You To Try
- Healthy Eggs Benedict – here, the delicious and classic eggs benedict has been given a healthy makeover. A creamy yogurt hollandaise sauce replaces butter with lean turkey bacon and home made lower fat English muffins.
- Mediterranean Breakfast Muffins – these are a delicious and healthy way to start your weekend. This simple, versatile recipe is low carb, packed with protein and low in calories too.
- This is Indian scrambled eggs or Anda Bhurji made the healthy way! An easy and delicious breakfast which can be on the table in just 30 minutes!
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Next Tuesday there’s a delicious new No Bake Strawberry Mousse Cheesecake recipe.
And on Thursday a vegetarian Red Lentil Bolognese.
Well I hope you’ll join me then and that you have an amazing weekend!
Smashed Avocado And Poached Eggs On Muffins Recipe
This smashed avocado and poached eggs recipe is quick and easy to make.
It may well become one of your favourite things to eat for breakfast as it is for us!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Smashed Avocado And Poached Eggs On Muffins
- 2 Muffins halved
- 220 g cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 avocados ripened
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 eggs
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Make Muffins
- Preheat oven to 180C fan.
- Place tomatoes in a small roasting tin and roast in the oven for about 15 minutes so they are just beginning to split.
- Boil a kettle and fill a large pan with the boiled water, bring back to the boil and add the vinegar.
- Cut the avocados in half and scoop out the insides.
- Place avocado in a bowl with the lime juice and mash together, but leave slightly chunky.
- Turn on your grill, drizzle the olive oil over the four slices of muffin and toast until lightly browned under the grill.
- Whilst keeping an eye on your toasting muffins poach the eggs in the pan of boiling water for about 3 minutes, (you want the yolks to still be slightly runny). Remove with a slotted spoon onto a plate.
- Spread the toasted muffin halves with the smashed avocado, place the poached eggs on top and divide the cherry tomatoes between the two plates.
- Season and serve.