Healthy macaroni salad recipe has all the flavours and creaminess that you would expect from the classic salad but it’s made with a lower calorie dressing.
Pasta salads like this healthy macaroni salad are a staple in our household.
Not only are they really easy to put together for packed lunches, but for me, on a late night home from work they are also quick and easy to prepare.
Also folks, as we get near the end of the month when money gets tighter and we’re all looking forward to that next pay day, I’m sure like me, you’ll welcome this excellent budget friendly recipe!
All I’ve simple done here is to take the classic macaroni salad recipe and use some of my low calorie dressing.
When I say “the classic macaroni salad” I mean our favourite version of it which has our favourite selection of salad ingredients in it.
Of course you are welcome to use any selection of ingredients you may wish and again being budget friendly.
This is also a great recipe for you to use up any leftovers. “Waste not want not” as they say!
If I’m making this healthy macaroni salad as a packed lunch option I’ll probably add a little more macaraoni that I would if it’s an evening meal.
Why? Well as I learnt when I was doing my nutrition courses a few years ago, macaraoni pasta is a carbohydrate which is a slow energy releasing food.
Pasta takes longer to digest, which is fine if you’re on the go during the day as you’re burning the calories it’s releasing.
In the evening thouhg you really don’t want to go to bed on a stomach filled with a huge amouts of carbs as this is when the body can store that excess energy as fat.
So in the evening instead of “bulking up” the salad with more macaroni I’ll try and add more salad ingredients which the body can break down and digest much quicker.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Pasta Salad Recipes You Might Also Like
- Easy honey mustard turkey pasta salad uses a really simple dressing which adds a whole lot of flavour to this recipe and it’s one that is versatile enough for you to use in your own pasta salad recipes too!
- Tuna pasta and sweetcorn salad makes for a perfect quick healthy meal. Made with a low calorie dressing and packed with delicious fresh salad ingredients its also great as a packed lunch option too.
- Quick tuna macaroni salad is a twist on the classic family favourite. Easy to make and made with healthy veggies this is a lower calorie, lower fat version too!
Coming Next Time on Neil’s Healthy Meals
OK so what’s happening is that Lady Lynne and I are off to walk the Hadrian’s Wall Path. That’s 84 miles of glorious English countryside.
Hopefully we’ll experience some dry weather, some good food and some local Ale’s in the evenings after a well deserved 15 – 20 miles hike each day.
I’ll put together a complation of the best bits and photographs when I get back, but for now have a great weekend and I’ll catch up with you in a week’s time!
Healthy Macaroni Salad Recipe
The low carloie dressing used in my macaroni salad is the same one as from my tuna pasta and sweetcorn salad recipe.
Again its versatile enough to be used on other salad recipes, this being a prime example!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Healthy Macaroni Salad
For the low calorie dressing: -
- 4 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- 4 tsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- Salt and pepper to season
For the Salad: -
- 250 g whole wheat macaroni
- 2 hard-boiled eggs diced
- 100 g cucumber diced
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 red pepper finely diced
- 85 g red onion finely diced
- 1 stick celery finely diced
- 1/2 small carrot grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cook the macaroni according to the packet instructions in boiling salted water, rinse until cooled under cold water, drain and place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, cucumber, cherry tomatoes, red pepper, red onion, celery and grated carrot.
- Put all of the dressing ingredients into a jar with a screw top lid and shake well.
- Pour dressing over macaroni and salad and mix well until everything is coated with the dressing.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate until required for serving.