Quick tuna macaroni salad is a twist on the classic family favourite. Easy to make and made with healthy veggies this is a lower calorie, lower fat version too!
Quick tuna macaroni salad. A delicious quick and easy lunch!
Folks, who remembers all those gloopy shop bought pasta salads that you once thought were a healthy lunch option?
Well I used to think so too. Until I examined the list of ingredients. Ouch!
It wasn’t until I began to pay attention to what I was eating in a bid to loose weight that I discovered shop-bought salads are often packed with so much fat, sugar, calories and salt.
Usually the problem is the dressing.
Often there’s so much full fat dressing that it completely obscures the taste of the salad itself!
Well I think that’s enough said.
What I’ve got here for you today is a tasty healthier home made tuna macaroni salad that will take just 20 minutes for you to make.
I’ve kept the recipe as close to the classic old fashioned recipe as possible with peas added.
I have removed the hard boiled egg though. There’s nothing to say you couldn’t also add that back in if you wanted to. Just be aware the nutritional label will then be invalid.
You’ll get four servings from this quick tuna macaroni salad therefore it’s perfect for packed lunches, or even dinner for the whole family.
The chopped red onion and fresh red pepper add an amazing crunch. Whilst the very small amount of reduced fat mayonnaise dressing is plenty to go round the whole dish.
Not only is this a great all year round recipe but it’s the perfect summer recipe. I hope yours is going well!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Pasta Salad Lunch Recipes You Might Also Like
- Healthy macaroni salad recipe has all the flavours and creaminess that you would expect from the classic salad but it’s made with a lower calorie dressing.
- Tuna pasta and sweetcorn salad makes for a perfect quick healthy meal. Made with a low calorie dressing and packed with delicious fresh salad ingredients its also great as a packed lunch option too.
- Honey mustard turkey pasta salad uses a really simple dressing which adds a whole lot of flavour to this recipe and it’s one that is versatile enough for you to use in your own pasta salad recipes too!
- Salmon macaroni salad is an easy and delicious to make fish pasta salad recipe. Made in just 20 minutes it serves four and is perfect as a lunch or dinner option!
Quick Tuna Macaroni Salad Recipe
If you’re making this macaroni tuna salad the day before and storing it in the fridge, I recommend removing it and allowing it to come back to room temperature before serving. It’s much tastier that way!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Quick Tuna Macaroni Salad
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 250 g macaroni
- 1/2 small red onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 2 x 160g tins of tuna in spring water
- 5 tbsp reduced fat mayonnaise
- Salt and freshly grated pepper
- 100 g frozen peas
- Begin to cook the macaroni in a pan of boiling water as per the packet instructions.
- Whilst the macaroni is cooking quickly chop the red onion and red pepper.
- Drain the tuna then mix it with the mayonnaise and the chopped onion and pepper.
- Approximately 2 minutes before the end of the macaroni cooking add the frozen peas into the same pot.
- When the pasta and peas are cooked, drain the pot and immediately add the tuna mayonnaise mixture in. Stir well to combine all the ingredients.
- Season to taste.
- Serve warm. Or serve cold. If putting in the fridge until later be sure to remove so the pasta can return to room temperature.