Cheesy chicken and broccoli skillet is a delicious one pan easy recipe. Ready in just 30 minutes then add some rice to make it a perfect quick healthy meal!
The idea for this cheesy chicken and broccoli skillet recipe came from a picture I saw in a restaurant window when Lady Lynne and I were on holiday in Hawaii.
We were out enjoying a short stroll along Waikiki beach in Honolulu and had decided to head back to our hotel.
We took a short cut down one of the side streets to avoid the throng of people and came across an interesting looking restaurant with a load of food pictures in it’s window.
Now, my mind wasn’t on food at all (for once) it was on how lovely and warm it was and I was just enjoying myself when I was suddenly distracted by all the amazing skillet recipes pictured in the window.
Having just received my new skillet for Christmas, one recipe in particular caught my attention.
It was a a sea of bubbling cheese in a skillet with a few bits of green (broccoli) and white (chicken) poking above. I can only imagine that the poor broccoli and chicken were in fact drowning!
Anyway, this dish looked AMAZING. Would I have ordered it and eaten it? You bet! I was only holiday!
However as much as I love cheesy chicken and broccoli dishes, unfortunately, with that amount of cheese on the dish and all that saturated fat and those calories that recipe wasn’t something I could see myself having as a quick healthy meal at home.
However, the great thing about cheese is that you only need a very small amount to add tons of flavour to a recipe.
Small amounts, although still containing saturated fat are not bad in moderation.
So, I set about creating my unique variation of that recipe I saw, this tasty cheesy chicken and broccoli skillet.
How To Make Cheesy Chicken And Broccoli Skillet
One of the main reasons that I think you’ll love this recipe is for it’s simplicity.
Then, its also nice and healthy with a lower calorie rating and packed full of healthy protein.
It’s an ideal, comforting family meal. Sauté the onion and garlic over a medium heat until softened then add the chicken.
Add the corn flour, water and chicken stock to create a base for the cheese sauce.
Next the broccoli is added and softened in the sauce, adding even more natural flavours.
Remove from heat and stir in 90g of the grated cheese until its fully melted forming the cheese sauce.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top and place under a medium heated grill to melt.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Vegetable Curry Recipes You Might Also Like
- One pot sweet potato and chickpea curry is a fantastic quick healthy budget recipe to make. Delicious and full flavoured this filling vegan curry is perfect for freezing too!
- Aubergine and sweet potato curry is a simple and deliciously healthy vegan curry. An all in one pot hearty family meal ready in just one hour!
- Vegan mixed bean curry is an easy 40 minute one pan healthy budget bean curry recipe. It goes perfectly with rice or naan bread!
Coming Next Time on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Well folks, as I mentioned in the previous post, the Broadmeadows House one that’s Lady Lynne and I safely back from an amazing 84 miles coast to coast walk of Hadrian’s Wall.
I’ll have a recap and some video clips in a couple of weeks but suffice to say we had a brilliant time.
That’s one thing Lynne and I really treasure together, our holidays. I don’t know how we’re going to cope without any other holidays, as we save up for our next big trip, when we aim to climb Kilimanjaro next year.
Maybe we’ll be able to budget for a few cheap bunkhouse/hostel trips in the meantime. I know I’ll go stir crazy if we don’t get away at all!
Anyway, next week what have we got planned? Oh yes a brand new coffee mug cake recipe on Tuesday and then tasty budget fish cakes on Thursday, you won’t believe how tasty they are, until you make them!
Have a great weekend and I’ll catch you then. 😉
Cheesy Chicken And Broccoli Skillet Recipe
We added some extra veggies (sweetcorn) and served our chicken and broccoli skillet with a little wholegrain rice.
We also love how this recipe won’t leave you staring at a depressing mountain of dirty pots and pans after preparing.
This cheesy chicken and broccoli dish combines broccoli florets, a veggie superhero that delivers a host of health benefits with tender lean protein-packed chicken!
I’d also love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Cheesy Chicken And Broccoli Skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 600 g boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 tbsp corn flour
- 4 tbsp cold water
- 250 ml chicken stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 175 g broccoli florets cut into bite sized pieces
- 130 g cheddar cheese grated
- In a large skillet heat the oil and sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until softened.
- Add chicken to the pan and cook the chicken pieces until they are no longer pink.
- Mix together the corn flour and cold water.
- Add the corn flour and water mixture to the pan and stir for about 30 seconds until combined. Then add the chicken stock to the skillet and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Turn down to simmer and cook stirring so the sauce thickens for about 8 - 10 minutes.
- Season to taste then add the broccoli to the skillet contents and stir to combine.
- Continue to cook, simmering for about 6 minutes until the broccoli is tender.
- Remove from heat and stir in 90g of the grated cheese until its fully melted.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and place under a medium heated grill to melt.