Lentil and potato soup with crispy bacon is really easy to make. With just four ingredients you can have this recipe on the table in less than one hour!
Soups, like this delicious lentil and potato soup with crispy bacon were the start of how I began to get myself back in shape.
It’s nearly seven years now since I switched my shop bought heavily cheese laden lunchtime sandwiches for a bowl of healthy home made low fat, low calorie soup and a wholemeal roll.
That change helped me loose two stones in weight.
Therefore it’s hardly surprising now that I love soup and I’m always experimenting with delicious new recipes and adding them to my soup recipes.
But of course it’s not just the fact soups are so much healthier than sandwiches for lunch.
You save time and money by making your own soup.
For example, it currently costs roughly just £4 to make 4 portions of this lentil and potato soup.
I use lean turkey bacon because its much cheaper and healthier, with less fat and only 25 calories as opposed to 64 calories per rasher of ordinary bacon.
And, I’m not standing in a queue for food at lunchtime.
So, that £4 per day saving is better diverted into the Hawaii holiday fund, don’t you think?
But seriously if we were all to make a couple of soup recipes at the weekend, divide it into portions and stick it in the freezer for our lunches we’d all soon notice the savings stacking up, and be eating much healthier too!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Lentil Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- Easy Scottish lentil soup is the authentic healthy red lentil soup from Scotland. This simple soup is filling, comforting and perfect for cold weather days!
- Sweet potato and red lentil soup is a delicious and easy recipe. This healthy vegan and gluten free soup is a perfect filler that never fails to please.
- Curried red lentil soup is a tasty soul warming soup that can be on the table in just one hour! This heart healthy soup serves 4 and is easy to make too!
Free Simple Soups eCookbook Coming Soon on Neil’s Healthy Meals!
If you like your soups, then bare with me folks because I’m in the process of writing a Free Simple Soups eCookbook for all current subscribers and to new subscribers too.
It’s just going to take a little bit more time to get it all together, but the recipes are done and so are the photographs. So hopefully by the end of the year that’ll be landing in your emails.
But, of course I’ll publish details of it here when I have it ready for you then too.
Lentil And Potato Soup With Crispy Bacon Recipe
Eating soup like this lentil and potato soup with crispy bacon for lunch keeps you full right through to dinner, with no temptation to reach for those unhealthier snacks!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Lentil and Potato Soup With Crispy Bacon
- 180 g Red split lentils
- 230 g White potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 L Vegetable stock
- 6 Rashers of lean bacon I use turkey bacon
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Put the lentils, potatoes and stock into a large saucepan.
- Bring the contents of the saucepan to the boil and simmer for approximately 35 minutes.
- Whilst the soup is simmering grill the bacon and set aside to cool, then chop into pieces.
- When the soup has cooked and the lentils and potatoes are completely softened remove to a blender, or use a stick blender to puree.
- Return the soup to the saucepan, re-heat and season to taste.
- Serve in bowls and top with the bacon.