This turkey and courgette bake is the perfect weeknight dinner for when you’re short of time. Healthy and filling with a creamy sauce inside topped with delicious mashed potato, and it’s low cost too!
Easy, cheesy and delicious is the simplest description I can think of to describe this turkey and courgette bake.
And, I think you’ll agree. You’ll be making this time and time again.
It’s another of my really quick healthy baked casseroles that I whipped up recently whilst trying to juggle my work and home life.
I know I’m usually all about making everything from scratch, but even I have to concede sometimes!
When I haven’t got the time to make a sauce, using a tin of condensed soup, as I did in this turkey and courgette bake makes for a perfect substitute.
If you have the time you could of course make a cheese sauce from scratch. The one in my low-cost healthy lasagne would be ideal.
This is a great balanced meal with the lean turkey providing half of your daily protein needs.
Plus, when serving I add some extra vegetables to bulk it up a bit further like 80g of green beans per person or 80g of sweetcorn. Both of which are just frozen vegetables that I microwave whilst the turkey and courgette bake is in the oven.
Just grill your turkey breasts whilst your potatoes are cooking.
- 600 g peeled and chopped white potatoes
- 295 g can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 75 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
- 300 g turkey breast cooked and cut into cubes
- 400 g courgettes zucchini, diced
- Pre-heat oven to 180C Fan
- Boil potatoes in salted water, then mash
- In a medium sized saucepan heat the condensed soup gently, bring to the boil, turn down to simmer.
- Add the grated cheese and the turkey breast. Combine well until the cheese has melted and you have a thick sauce consistency then stir in the courgette. Allow the mixture to simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Empty the turkey mixture into a casserole dish and top with the mashed potato, flattening out evenly all over with a fork.
- Bake in the centre of oven for approximately 20 – 25 minutes until the top is golden.
- Serve with some green vegetables
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.