Low fat summer turkey stew is an easy to prepare and healthy one pot family recipe. This one hour low carb recipe is perfect for using up turkey leftovers!
This low fat summer turkey stew is low cost and nutritious too!
Plus, you could easily adapt the recipe to use up any leftover vegetables you might have in the fridge.
I make this if I’m short of time or don’t want to see leftover vegetables going to waste. Not that there is usually any food waste in our house…..
I think this is my first post about turkey!
How could I miss it, it being one of the leanest meats available? So tasty, so easy to use and cook, and yet so underrated. Often left to just thoughts of the Christmas dinner!
But Turkey is a much leaner meat than chicken and is often cheaper and avoided. It’s such a shame as it actually contains less fat, less saturated fat and nearly half the calories too, compared to an equal weight of chicken.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Turkey Recipes You Might Also Like
- Turkey and courgette bake is the perfect weeknight dinner for when you’re short of time. Healthy and filling with a creamy sauce inside topped with delicious mashed potato, and it’s low cost too!
- Baked parmesan turkey escalopes are delicious and such a great quick healthy meal to make. A crunchy baked breadcrumb and parmesan crusted turkey breast with a simple tomato and rocket side salad made in under an hour!
- Healthy slow cooker turkey chilli is a delicious lightly spiced and easy version of the Mexican classic recipe. This tasty dish is one all the family will love!
Low Fat Summer Turkey Stew Recipe
If you’re serving this low fat summer turkey stew with the suggested new boiled potatoes, you could add them into the casserole dish before the end of the cooking to save your washing up. Watch they don’t go mushy though.
And, another great tip for this low fat summer turkey stew, is that it’s an all-year round one, so it could be ideal to use up those Christmas Day turkey leftovers too.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Low Fat Summer Turkey Stew
- Low Fat Calorie Spray
- 1 medium sized Leek , topped, tailed, halved and sliced
- 4 lean turkey breast steaks cut into bite size chunks. Approximately 500g.
- 450 ml Chicken Stock
- 1 large carrot cut up into approximately 4cm batons
- 2 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp mixed dry herbs
- 150 g frozen peas
- 150 g frozen green beans
- 20 g corn flour mixed with 3 tbsp. cold water
- Spray 5 sprays of low calorie spray in a hob proof casserole dish. Turn heat on high and when the oil starts to bubble, turn it down to low.
- Add Leeks and stir continuously for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add Turkey, and stir continuously until no longer pink on the outside for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Add stock, tomato puree and then the mixed hers, stir all together well. Bring to the boil then turn down to a simmer and cover for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots, cover and cook for 5 minutes
- Add peas and beans, cover and cook for 10 minutes
- Check veg is cooked to personal liking. If so, stir in corn flour mixed with the cold water, season to taste and once slightly thickened turn off the heat.
- Serve with new boiled potatoes or for a lower GI rating and healthier choice choose 35g wholegrain rice per person.