Skillet baked macaroni and cheese. The delicious classic comfort food easily made into a quick healthy baked meal for 4. With less washing up!
Folks I think you’re going to love my healthier version skillet baked macaroni and cheese.
I mean everybody has their own favourite version of macaroni and cheese haven’t they?
There is nothing wrong with this good old fashioned mealtime staple except sometimes that creamy cheese sauce can be just a little heavy on the butter and flour side, can’t it?
However, don’t get yourself all worried here because I’m certainly not going to remove that classic cheesy cream sauce as that would be sacrilege and then I might as well rename the recipe as well!
Nope all I’m going to do here is show you just how I make my favourite version and how you too can make it a little healthier using no butter, no oil, a lower fat cheese and skimmed milk.
Not only is this a healthier version but you can cut back on the number of dishes you have to wash up.
Instead of one pan for the macaroni, one pan for the cheese sauce and a casserole dish for baking the recipe, you’ll just need one pan.
Only one pan to boil your macaroni and your skillet for making the cheese sauce in and then baking the actual cheese and macaroni mixture in the oven!
Folks, I think you’ll agree with me that having less dishes to wash up is a bonus.
I mean a quick healthy meal wouldn’t be any good if it then meant spending loads of time standing at the sink cleaning dishes after would it?
And it’s me doing all the dishes here anyway because Lady Lynne and I have an agreement where I do all the cooking and dishes and she cleans the house.
So, as you can imagine any recipes that cut down on time as well as dish washing get my vote!
I used to use a casserole dish but with my new skillet I decided to try out a skillet baked macaroni and cheese version and it worked!
In fact I like doing it this way better, and that’s not just because of the less dishes situation!
How I Make My Skillet Baked Macaroni And Cheese Healthier
This is a delicious creamy cheese sauce that I’ve been using for a number of years now instead of the full fat buttery cheese sauce I used to use.
It honestly doesn’t really taste any different from the original and it certainly hasn’t stopped Lady Lynne and I enjoying this, one of our all time favourite recipes!
But what it has stopped and also helped us reduce was our expanding waistlines! 🙂
For This Skillet Baked Macaroni And Cheese You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
The pan is of a classic design and made out of cast iron.
It’s suitable for all types of cookers except microwaves.
As it’s made of cast iron it can last a lifetime!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Skillet Recipes You Might Also Like
- Potato mushroom and onion skillet is a perfect go-to recipe for when you’re short of time and looking for a quick budget meal all in one pan.
- Red pepper and spinach frittata is a delicious and easy quick healthy meal. Serve this vegetarian dish for breakfast, lunch or dinner. The choice is yours!
- Cheesy chicken and broccoli skillet is a delicious one pan easy recipe. Ready in just 30 minutes then add some rice to make it a perfect quick healthy meal!
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Right, so with all that said, as I mentioned in the Hawaii update on Tuesday and also above there will be two new recipes next week.
Oven baked fish puffs on Tuesday, which is a delicious healthy budget fish recipe.
Then on Thursday a fantastic new “grab and go” raisin oat breakfast muffins recipe.
For now enjoy this skillet baked macaroni and cheese and I hope you have a fantastic weekend.
Catch you later! 🙂
Skillet Baked Macaroni And Cheese Recipe
I’ve served my baked mac and cheese with a healthy green salad of rocket, cucumber and chopped red pepper.
You could also serve this with some veggies like steamed broccoli or peas and sweetcorn.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Skillet Baked Macaroni And Cheese
- 200 g macaroni
- 350 ml skimmed milk
- 15 g corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp cold water
- ½ tsp red chilli powder (optional)
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 100 g reduced fat grated cheddar cheese + a little extra for topping
- Preheat oven to 180C Fan
- Place macaroni in boiling salted water and cook according to packet instructions then drain.
- While the macaroni is cooking place skimmed milk and corn flour mixture into skillet and heat gently stirring constantly until white sauce thickens then season to taste.
- Gradually stir cheese into white sauce until completely combined and no longer lumpy. Then add the chilli powder (tasting to preferred level of heat).
- Add drained macaroni to the cheese sauce, give it a stir until well combined then bake in the oven for 10 – 15 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh green salad.