These spicy red pesto halloumi burgers are great for busy weeknights. They're easy to make and delicious served on toasted brioche buns with lettuce and tomato.
It'll take you just 30 minutes to make these delicious spicy red pesto halloumi burgers.
20 minutes for the home made pesto and then 10 minutes to assemble the burgers.
These halloumi burgers are another great recipe that I use my versatile low fat red pesto dip for.
That dip is something I always have handy in the feezer so I can conjur up other quick vegetarian dishes like my baked aubergine with red pesto and cheese.
You can make the red pesto dip in just 20 minutes following my recipe and there will be plenty left over to freeze for other recipes!
If you're trying to reduce the amount of meat you eat but still want to enjoy a delicious burger then this halloumi cheese burger is one tasty veggie burger that will satisfy those cravings!
Unlike other cheeses, halloumi doesn’t melt. So it's perfect lightly fried on a griddle pan.
Halloumi has a slightly salty, chewy, squeaky texture. That might sound a bit strange, a salty cheese, but it really is delicious!
If you’ve never tried halloumi this is a great recipe to give it a go.
It's bound to be a huge hit with the whole family and is a great addition to your list of halloumi recipes!
- Halloumi Cheese
- Olive Oil
- Brioche Buns
- Red Pesto Dip
- Chilli Flakes
- Iceberg Lettuce
See recipe card for quantities.
- Halloumi Cheese - paneer cheese is the best substitute if you can't get halloumi or halloumi slices
- Olive Oil - any kind of cooking oil will work here.
- Brioche Buns - you could use any kind of burger buns here.
- Red Pesto Dip - shop bought is fine if you don't want to make my recipe but may alter the nutritional information.
- Chilli Flakes - optional. Just used to make the red pesto spicy.
- Iceberg Lettuce - any kind of lettuce you prefer. Or maybe just slices of red onion.
- Tomato - I use a regular large tomato but any kind of tomato would do.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Are halloumi burgers healthy?
As a cheese, Halloumi is high in saturated fat and salt. It's a great vegetarian alternative to meat. You'll also find it rich in calcium and high in protein but it should be consumed in moderation.
Where does halloumi come from?
Halloumi originates from Cyprus and is a semi-hard cheese made from sheep or goats milk or sometimes the mixture of both.
What to serve halloumi burgers with?
As with any burger, you could serve these with some sweet potato fries or a fresh salad.
Other Popular Vegetarian Burgers For You To Try
- Homemade Quorn burgers are really easy to make and an ideal vegetarian meat substitute for you or your vegetarian friends cooked on your stove, or on your BBQ.
- These chickpea burgers are extremely easy to make, filling, high in fibre and low in fat! Everybody loves burgers, and these vegetarian burgers can be just as tasty as meat ones!
- Quick and easy black bean burgers are perfect for cooking in a pan or on your BBQ. No matter what the weather or if you're short on time, these delicious budget vegan burgers are the business!
- Quick healthy kidney bean burgers that are easy to make and made with only 6 ingredients. They're meat free, gluten free, low calorie and delicious too!
Spicy Red Pesto Halloumi Burgers Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 250 g block halloumi cheese cut 8 thick slices
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 brioche buns*
- 4 tablespoon red pesto**
- ¼ teaspoon chilli flakes
- Shredded iceberg lettuce
- 4 slices tomato
- Use a pastry brush and brush each side of the halloumi slices with a little olive oil.
- Heat a grill pan (or frying pan) on a medium-high heat untilhot then brown each side of the halloumi slices. About 2–3 minutes. Toast brioche buns under a medium heat grill or in a toaster, if using.
- Mix together the red pesto and chilli flakes.
- Assemble the burgers with iceberg lettuce on the bottom of the brioche bun, then sliced tomato then two slices of halloumi in a single layer then spicy red pesto on top.
** You can use normal burgers buns if you can't get brioche buns.
Nutritional information provided below is calculated using paid for online tools and the exact ingredients and quantities used above.
Rate The Recipe
If you’ve made these spicy red pesto halloumi burgers, or any other recipes on Neil's Healthy Meals, then please let me know.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂