Spiralized kale pesto pasta is a delicious and easy 30 minute meal combining all the goodness of kale with spiralized courgettes. It's low carb, budget and vegetarian too!
Well folks, if you thought that budget healthy meals couldn't get any easier than those Quick Healthy Chickpea Cakes I published last Tuesday, how about this tasty spiralized kale pesto pasta offering?
Similarly, like those chickpea cakes, this is another brilliant, time saving recipe whereby everything (except the courgettes) goes straight into your blender and is blitzed into a perfect meal. In this case its blitzed into a perfect pesto pasta paste.
Of course you can serve the kale pesto with traditional pasta if you want, no problems, but I just love this served with spiralized courgette.
It's a perfect low carb, low calorie wheat pasta alternative if you're looking to try and eat a few less carbs after Christmas!
Now folks let's talk a little about carbs (carbohydrates) here.
First of all carbs are absolutely essential and necessary for our everyday functioning.
Carbs are important to our health because in a healthy balanced diet, they are the body’s main source of energy and they are also what our brains use to function.
So, when in a recipe, like this kale pesto pasta, I advocate that it can help you eat a few less carbs I'm not talking about removing the carbs from your diet in any way at all.
No, it's a case of substituting those other sources of carbs, such as wheat pasta, with a healthier source of carbs like courgettes here which can provide all the essential benefits you need but with less overall calories.
The veggies used here courgettes and kale, are two excellent sources of fibre too!
Read my section on carbohydrates and fibre to learn more.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Pesto Recipes For You To Try
- Baked Aubergine With Red Pesto And Cheese - this is a fantastic mid-week cheesy meal that's packed full of flavour but also quick and cheap to make!
- Butternut Squash Noodles with Spring Pesto and Roasted Tomatoes - this is again a fantastic low carb alternative to pasta with a spring pesto sauce.
- Baked Salmon Pesto - this simple and tasty oven baked salmon pesto is ready in just 30 minutes and comes with a fantastic creamy cauliflower mash too!
Spiralized Kale Pesto Pasta Recipe
Cost wise, I can make this kale pesto pasta for literally a couple of pounds with plenty to freeze for future meals as well.
So hopefully wherever you are in the world you can take advantage of that low cost factor too.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Spiralized Kale Pesto Pasta Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 85 g kale chopped with stalks removed
- 50 ml olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- 2 garlic cloves
- 85 g pine nuts
- 25 g Parmesan grated
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 medium sized zucchini / courgettes spiralized
- Wash the kale in a colander and rinse with cool water.
- Place the kale in a food processor and add the olive oil, juice from the lemon, garlic cloves, pine nuts and Parmesan. Purée the mixture until smooth. Add more oil if required. Season to taste and set aside.
- Gently heat a wok / frying pan, add the spiralized courgette / zucchini and heat through for about 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add 1 – 2 tablespoons of kale pesto and stir in until the courgette / zucchini is sufficiently coated.
- Divide the pasta equally between bowls and serve.