Lamb rogan josh and naan breads go together so well creating an amazing tasty Sunday curry feast! Here I show you how to make lamb rogan josh with home-made naan breads.
This is my healthier take on a fantastic Sunday curry lamb rogan josh recipe accompanied with home made naan breads.
The difference with my recipe compared to the original recipe is that I’ve removed the ghee and oil, where the main calories come from.
You’ll never want to buy pre-made curry or naan breads again once you’ve tasted this!
But folks, I assure you that taking away the ghee and oil hasn’t impacted the deep flavour of this Sunday curry at all.
The spices produce a dish full of flavour and one that’s not swimming in additional unnecessary fats that can impact the waistline!
Plus the sauce has a rich and tasty creamy consistency. Without the addition of any cream!
Why Sunday Curry?
For Lady Lynne and I, the weekend ends with a good home made healthy Sunday curry like this lamb rogan josh with naan breads.
Our traditional Sunday Roast dinner was swapped a number of years ago for a Sunday curry option. Now we much prefer that as a really satisfying way to end the weekend.
We’ve got many favourite curries and I’ll be continually adding to the curry recipes so be sure to check them out!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Lamb Curry Recipes You Might Also Like
- Skinny lamb curry is great when you want to enjoy the full flavours of a lamb curry without the guilty feeling of adding to your waist line. You’ll love the taste of the tender lean lamb marinated in it’s delicious curry sauce!
- Lamb chilli curry recipe is an easy Indian curry that will have your taste buds simply tingling in delight as they experience first, the tender marinated lamb then second, the rich chilli sauce.
Lamb Rogan Josh and Naan Breads Recipe
Serve your lamb rogan josh Sunday curry in 2 bowls. Use the naan breads for cooping out the curry. Enjoy!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Lamb Rogan Josh and Naan Breads
Lamb Rogan Josh :-
- Low calories cooking spray oil
- 2 large onions
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 600 g lean lamb leg steaks cut into cubes
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp ginger and garlic paste
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp mild curry powder.
- 200 g tin tomatoes 1/2 tin standard size
- 2 large tomatoes chopped.
- 2 tbsp chopped ground up nuts peanuts /cashews / almonds
- 100 ml No fat yogurt
- 4 tbsp grated coconut cream
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander
Naan breads :-
- 100 g white bread flour
- 100 g plain flour
- 2 g salt
- 2 g dried yeast
- 100 ml no fat yogurt combined with 100 ml warm water
Lamb Rogan Josh :-
- Spray the bottom of a heavy based saucepan/casserole dish 10 times with the cooking oil. Turn the heat on high and when the spray oil begins to bubble turn down the heat.
- Add the diced onion and cumin seeds. Keep stirring the onions to prevent any sticking.
- When the onions have become soft, about 4 - 5 minutes, add the cubed lamb
- Brown the cubed lamb and once browned, about 6 - 8 minutes, cover with fresh boiling water.
- Put the lid on and allow to cook for 30 minutes, on a low heat, stirring every now and then.
- After 30 minutes add the salt, ginger and garlic paste, tomato puree, red chilli powder, turmeric and curry powder. Stir well together for a couple of minutes
- Add the tinned tomatoes and chopped tomatoes, cook for 15 minutes again stirring every now and then.
- Add the ground nuts then carefully stir in the 100ml no fat yogurt and add the 4 tbsp. grated coconut cream, Stir and cook uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Check to see if lamb is tender enough. If it is, turn off the heat and put the lid back on to keep it warm until serving. Now make the Naan breads.
Make the Naan Breads:-
- In a medium sized bowl combine the white bread flour and plain flour together.
- Add the salt, the dried yeast and then the no fat yogurt / water mixture.
- Combine in the bowl to a dough consistency.
- Then re-shape into a dough ball, coat in a light dusting of plain flour, place in a clean bowl and cover with clingfilm to rest for one hour.
- Flour a work surface. Roll the sticky dough out into a sausage shape and cut into 6 equal amounts. Roll these into balls.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan / Indian flat pan Tawa / Tava over a medium heat.
- Roll one ball out using a rolling pin into a naan shape. Shake the flour off and put it into the pan. Cook one side until brown blisters appear underside then turn and cook the other side. Lay aside and cover to keep warm.
- Repeat the process with the other 5 balls.
- Re-heat the rogan josh if required and serve with the coriander scattered over.