Sweet potato and kale hotpot is a quick, hearty all in one healthy meal. It’s perfect for winter as you’ll find this low cost vegan stew is packed full of vitamins that help keep colds and flu away!
This sweet potato and kale hotpot is a big hug in a bowl.
It’s a superb winter warmer and I’m extremely grateful to Cirio who sent me free samples of their peeled plum tomatoes for me to use in this recipe.
Their peeled plum tomatoes add a rich and sumptuous deep tomato taste to this easy healthy one pot casserole!
It’ll take you less than an hour to prepare and cook this vitamin stuffed meal for 4.
Not only that it’ll not break the bank and any leftovers are ideal for freezing.
It’s easy and nourishing recipes like this sweet potato and kale hotpot that Lady Lynne and I are living off at the moment.
In fact, it’s not just at the moment, it’s always. That’s what I do here!
There’s a reason for not cooking with expensive meat cuts or exotic ingredients.
Hawaii and San Francisco 2017
It’s booked!! 😀
We paid our final deposit last Saturday and in March we will be heading to Hawaii for 10 nights and then returning via San Francisco staying there for 4 nights.
THIS trip of a lifetime, like our LAST trip of a lifetime, the African Adventures in Uganda and Zanzibar has been a long time in the planning (and saving for).
We have so much planned. Whale watching, climbing Haleakala and visiting Alcatraz are just a few examples!
As you can image both Lady Lynne and I are so excited. When you work long hours, it makes it all the saving and foregoing expensive cars and other material stuff worthwhile in the end.
It proves you don’t have to be rich or well off to enjoy the best that life has to offer. This is how “you really CAN have your cake and eat it”.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 large onion sliced
- 1 green pepper sliced
- 1 400 g can cirio plum tomatoes
- 400 ml vegetable stock
- 4 tbsp tomato passata
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 150 g chopped curly kale
- 500 g peeled and chopped sweet potato
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Gently heat the olive oil in a large casserole dish or pot, add the onion and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes stirring so as not to allow the garlic to burn.
- Add the green pepper and sauté for a further minute.
- Add the tinned plum tomatoes stock, tomato passata and mustard. Combine all the ingredients well and allow to come to the boil, then turn down to simmer.
- Stir in the kale and cook for about 2 minutes until the kale is soft.
- Then add the sweet potatoes and allow the hotpot to simmer for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until the potatoes are just soft, but not falling apart.
- Season to taste and serve
Great served with couscous.
Well I’m off to scrape us both off the ceiling now and prepare for next week’s tuna cashew pilau, which funnily enough is another superb one pot easy tasty low cost quick healthy meal!
Catch you next Thursday! 😉
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.