These delicious spicy lentil burgers are not only packed full of taste but they’re low calorie and low fat too. Vegetarian and easy to make, they won’t cost you much either!
Folks, I’m hoping to prove to you today that just because these spicy lentil burgers are meat free and it’s not the middle of summer (well certainly not here in Scotland anyway!) you can still enjoy a really tasty burger.
Also the thing with some vegetarian burgers is the amount of work that has to go into them in order to make them.
Not so with these spicy lentil burgers!
Minimal store cupboard ingredients and a couple of fresh peppers.
These spicy lentil burgers are another excellent low cost quick healthy meal that’s on the dinner table in less than one hour!
Following on from the low cost and saving money theme that I started in the sweet potato garlic and chorizo soup recipe I thought I’d continue with January being a month of healthy low cost recipes.
Expect more tasty budget meals to come!
In summary I think that not only have I proved here that these spicy lentil burgers are an easy, cheap and healthy meat free burger alternative, but you don’t need a BBQ to do them!
In fact talking of BBQ’s folks, I have to be honest in that ours hasn’t come out of the garden shed for 2 years.
Every time we plan a BBQ when it actually is summer the weather turns and we end up grilling the burgers instead!
Talking of the weather (which I frequently do on this blog) it’s currently ghastly.
If you’re suffering from the same winter storms and gales that we are then you might want to tune in for next week’s delicious new vegan sweet potato and kale hotpot. Another recipe that’ll not break the bank!
Catch you then folks! 🙂
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Spicy Lentil Burgers Recipe
You can serve your spicy lentil burgers with fries if you wish.
However, Lady Lynne and I find that these are REALLY filling and just a simple side salad of iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and sliced red onion is all we need to accompany.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Delicious easy vegetarian spicy lentil burgers. Packed full of taste, low calorie and low fat too.
- 160 g red lentils
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper finely chopped
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Low fat spray oil
- Put the lentils in a pot and cover with 400ml boiled water. Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Empty the lentils into a sieve and allow to drain, then place them in a bowl and mash them up a little.
- Add the onion, peppers, flour, coriander, spices and mix together.
- Stir in the beaten egg and season with salt and pepper.
- The mixture will be wet and using your hands you’ll be able to shape it into 6 burger patties. If it’s too sloppy add a little more flour.
- Spray a large non-stick pan with the spray oil and cook each burger patty over a medium heat on either side turning whilst cooking to prevent burning.
- Remove each cooked burger to warm oven to keep warm as you cook the others.
Serve on burger buns with iceberg lettuce, sliced tomatoes and sliced red onion.
The lentil burgers can be refrigerated overnight, once made into patties prior to cooking.