These delicious spicy lentil burgers are not only packed full of taste but they’re low calorie and low fat too. Vegetarian and easy to make, they won’t cost you much either!
Folks, I’m hoping to prove to you today that just because these spicy lentil burgers are meat free and it’s not the middle of summer (well certainly not here in Scotland anyway!) you can still enjoy a really tasty burger.
Also the thing with some vegetarian burgers is the amount of work that has to go into them in order to make them.
Not so with these spicy lentil burgers!
I’ve made this lentil burgers recipe as easy as possible. The recipe makes 6 burgers and they’re served in under an hour!
Made with minimal store cupboard ingredients and a couple of fresh peppers these vegetarian lentil burgers are nutrient packed.
And these spicy lentil burgers are another excellent low cost quick healthy meal that’s on the dinner table in less than one hour!
Following on from the low cost and saving money theme that I started at the turn of this year I though we should continue with January being a month of healthy low cost recipes.
These low calorie burgers are one of those such recipes.
Expect more such tasty budget meals to come!
I mean you could buy cheap shop bought frozen veggie burgers. But if you look at all the actual ingredients you’ll find that they are often processed and full of artificial ingredients, flavours and colours.
So what’s the point in saving money when you’re potentially putting your health at risk? Your best option is homemade made with real ingredients.
In summary I think that not only have I proved here that these spicy lentil burgers are an easy, cheap and healthy meat free burger alternative, and you don’t need a BBQ to do them!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Vegetarian Burger Recipes For You To Try
- Quick and easy black bean burgers are perfect for cooking in a pan or on your BBQ. No matter what the weather or if you’re short on time, these delicious budget vegan burgers are the business!
- How to make homemade Quorn burgers. These tasty homemade Quorn burgers are really easy to make and an ideal vegetarian meat substitute for you or your vegetarian friends cooked on your stove, or on your BBQ.
- Chickpea burgers are extremely easy to make, filling, high in fibre and low in fat! Everybody loves burgers, and these vegetarian burgers can be just as tasty as meat ones!
Spicy Lentil Burgers Recipe
You can serve your spicy lentil burgers with fries if you wish.
However, my other half and I find that these are REALLY filling and just a simple side salad of iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and sliced red onion is all we need to accompany.
You can enjoy a lentil burger any time of the year as they freeze well. And they can be easily reheated under a hot grill or in a hot pan.
The heat of your spicy lentils is up to you. Reduce the amount of spices if you want a less spicy lentil burger!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Spicy Lentil Burgers
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 160 g red lentils
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 red pepper finely chopped
- 1 yellow pepper finely chopped
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- 1 tsp Ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 egg beaten
- Salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Low fat spray oil
- Put the lentils in a pot and cover with 400ml boiled water. Bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Empty the lentils into a sieve and allow to drain, then place them in a bowl and mash them up a little.
- Add the onion, peppers, flour, coriander, spices and mix together.
- Stir in the beaten egg and season with salt and pepper.
- The mixture will be wet and using your hands you’ll be able to shape it into 6 burger patties. If it’s too sloppy add a little more flour.
- Spray a large non-stick pan with the spray oil and cook each burger patty over a medium heat on either side turning whilst cooking to prevent burning.
- Remove each cooked burger to warm oven to keep warm as you cook the others.
- Serve on burger buns with iceberg lettuce, sliced tomatoes and sliced red onion.