Vegan sweet potato and butternut squash soup is easy to make, naturally sweet and made with creamy delicious coconut milk. It’s a perfect comfort soup!
Folks, if you’re looking for soup that’s going to give you a big hug then look no further than this amazing sweet potato and butternut squash soup.
It’s also not only vegan but gluten free too. You’ll find the flavours of this soup come together perfectly giving it a rich and creamy texture.
An easy and cheap to make soup, it’s one of our favourites.
Perfect as a winter warmer or really any time of the year!
The only thing that will take you a bit of time to make this sweet potato butternut squash soup is the preparation of the vegetables for cooking.
However, you could easily make this soup in just 30 minutes!
You know those bags of pre-prepared, pre-cut vegetables you can often get in supermarkets nowadays ?
Well if you head to your supermarket veg section and you can get all of the vegetables already chopped and prepared for you then you’re onto a winner.
I wasn’t able to get the vegetables already prepared for me when I made this recipe to publish. So I’ve left the preparation time as if though you are doing the vegetables from scratch.
Even though I’ve added in coconut milk to give this recipe a creamy texture I used a reduced fat version which keeps this sweet potato squash soup low in fat and only 145 calories per serving.
This soup has numerous health benefits too.
Butternut squash is also fibre rich and being low in calories, squash can help weight loss. It is also said to aid towards preventing conditions like cancer and heart disease.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Sweet Potato Based Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- Sweet potato and red lentil soup is a delicious and easy recipe. This healthy vegan and gluten free soup is a perfect filler that never fails to please.
- Healthy carrot and sweet potato soup recipe is delicious and simple to make. Vegan and gluten free it’s also low calorie and filling too. Dairy free, it’s a soup that gives you a warming hug just when you need it most!
- Sweet potato, garlic and chilli soup is ideal for vegans or just soup lovers alike. Filling and giving you more than your daily recommended amount of vitamin A, its just full of delicious flavours from naturally sweet ingredients.
Vegan Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
This sweet potato squash soup is great served with a few slices of my homemade bread.
As it’s so delicious you can use those slices to easily scoop up any leftovers in the bowl!
I would recommend that this soup is best served fresh. However you can keep it in the fridge for 2 – 3 days and it still tastes great heated up in the microwave or in a saucepan.
Can I freeze sweet potato and butternut squash soup? Yes squash soup freezes really well. Make sure you let it cool completely first then portion it into individual containers. Defrost it before reaheating.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Vegan Sweet Potato and Butternut Squash Soup
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 large carrot peeled and diced
- 300 g butternut squash
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and diced
- 750 ml vegetable stock
- 200 ml tinned reduced fat coconut milk
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp mild red chilli powder
- Freshly ground salt and pepper to season
- In a large saucepan gently heat the olive oil.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for about 3-4 minutes then stir in the carrot, sweet potato, and butternut squash. Add the vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then turn down to simmer until the vegetables are softened. About 20 minutes.
- Allow the vegetables to cool a little then blitz them in a blender / food processor and return to the pan.
- Stir in the coconut milk, cinnamon, coriander, ginger, and chilli powder. Bring back to a simmer. Taste and adjust the spices if necessary, then season to taste with the salt and pepper.