This is a deliciously easy carrot and sweet potato soup which you can add to your list of quick healthy meals. It’s low calorie, really tasty, filling, and has just the right amount of heat from the chilli. It’s a soup that gives you a warming hug just when you need it most.
I know, I know, it’s another soup recipe but as I mentioned recently, it is just NOT feeling like summer here in any way at all yet.
So in the spirit of keeping warm, here in Glasgow, let’s get our soup spoons out and get right into this bowl of delicious carrot and sweet potato soup nourishment!
The carrot and sweet potato soup ingredients just marinate so well together producing a natural sweetness, whilst the ginger and hint of chilli powder add the warmth.
You can feel yourself slowly warming up, from head to toe, as the soup slowly slips down with every mouthful.
Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup Confession
OK, so I have to confess here further the reason for the soup recipe today….
I was planning to do a motivational post but it didn’t happen. (Obviously).
You see Sunday (the day planned to do that motivational post) was spent re-installing and transferring all my software to a new computer. I had to replace the creaking laptop that I’ve been working on previously. It just wasn’t designed for my daily thrashing and the software I use! Just pressing a key threw the laptop processor into a tantrum! So I’m just about finished re-installing everything, but it’s meant that motivation post has been shelved for a while!
You know, I kept thinking, or rather lyrics kept popping into my head as Sunday wore on “time is against me now” and “plans can fall through as so often they do” – curse you Morrissey for putting these words in my head in my adolescence that I can’t ever seem to get rid of!! 😉
Anyway, I digress. You folks know it’s not all about soup here and I want to get started on my salads soon. But with a weekend ahead of cooking and new recipes planned, and the weather forecast still looking dreich I’ve kind of changed that plan there too from “summery” to “hearty” recipes i.e. more casseroles and one pot stews.
Anyway, it is what it is, it’s Scotland, and you’ve seen the fantastic weather we can have so I’m not moaning, I’m just saying. Plans have to be adaptable here. Just like ourselves, we all need to be adaptable to changing times and there’s about to be another huge change in my circumstances. I’m changing jobs again……… ❓
Yep, my fantastic news is that I’ve finally got a position back in my chosen career path (Project Management) and there’s potentially going to be website stuff and social media stuff too. Everything I do here, and am learning at college. Ecstatic, absolutely. Excited? You bet!! 😀
- Low fat cooking spray
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 medium sized carrots chopped
- ½ tsp ginger
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 L vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- A sprinkle of mild chilli powder for garnish
- Spray the bottom of a large soup pan about 5 times with the low fat cooking spray.
- Heat the soup pan on a high heat, then when the oil starts to bubble, turn the heat down to a lower heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring constantly to ensure they don’t burn.
- Add the carrots and cook for a further 2 – 3 minutes, again stirring constantly and add drops of hot water, if required, to prevent the mixture sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- Stir in the ginger and chilli powder. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped sweet potato and vegetable stock. Simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Blitz / puree in a food processor / blender, return to the same pot and re-heat.
- Season to taste, serve and garnish with the mild chilli powder.
This is easily freezable.
As its Thursday we’re linking up as usual with Amanda at Running with Spoons there’s always plenty going on over there!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.