Tuna sweetcorn lasagne is perfect for a delicious and comforting midweek family meal. This healthy red meat free alternative is a quick and easy way to satisfy the whole family with minimum cost and mostly store-cupboard ingredients.
Folks, I think you’ll agree with me that there’s just something about a pasta bake that makes everyone happy isn’t there?
I don’t know anyone in the pasta bake scheme of things who also doesn’t love a good lasagne either. Do you?
There’s so many meat based lasagnes to choose from or veggie one’s if you’re vegetarian.
So how about we swap the mince and the veggies for a fish based lasagne today, in the form of this tasty tuna sweetcorn lasagne?
Now, stay with me here folks. because this really is a fantastic recipe.
Yes, I was skeptical to begin with too. I though fish in a lasagne? Nah I’m not really sure about that but seriously. It works. It works really well!
This tuna sweetcorn lasagne has such a delicious rich tomato flavour, not to mention it’s topped with a tasty cheese sauce too and then finished with a cheese crust.
What’s not to love about that?
Using canned tuna and other basic budget ingredients this tuna sweetcorn lasagne is so easy to make.
Plus yes, you can freeze this tuna lasagne too. That is if you have any leftover!
And you can be sure that you and your family are getting at least one of your recommended two fish portions per week.
Try this recipe as I’m sure you won’t be disappointed!
For This Tuna Sweetcorn Lasagne Recipe You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
This is the basic pasta dish I use. As you can see it’s relatively inexpensive and its perfect for pasta bake recipes.
For making the cheese sauce you’ll need a good hard wearing balloon whisk too. This is the one that I use which definitely won’t break the bank either!
I’m still using this same balloon whisk that I bought 5 years ago!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Lasagne Recipes You Might Also Like
- Green lentil lasagne is a delicious meat free vegetarian lentil lasagne recipe. With a mozzarella filling which compliments the nutty flavour of the lentils. And a tasty rich melted cheese bechamel sauce topping. This lentil lasagne is amazing!
- Low-cost healthy lasagne is a healthier version of the classic Italian family favourite. Easy to make and ready in under one hour this recipe makes 4 – 6 portions at only 351 calories per slice.
- Easy homemade Quorn lasagne is delicious. This vegetarian Quorn mince recipe serves up to six people. Making it a great meat free meal for entertaining.
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
It’s time for a new smoothie recipe folks!
Catch you Thursday! 🙂
Tuna Sweetcorn Lasagne Recipe
I’ve made this tuna lasagne recipe to cater for 4 people and recommened either serving it with a green salad or some crusty bread.
You could get 6 portions out of this recipe though, if perhaps you’re serving it as a light lunch rather than a dinner option.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Tuna Sweetcorn Lasagne
For the cheese sauce:-
- 300 ml skimmed milk
- 20 g corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 40 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
For the tuna sweetcorn filling: -
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion peeled and diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 400 g can chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 150 ml water
- 160 g x 2 cans tuna in spring water drained
- 80 g sweetcorn frozen
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp freshly chopped basil
- 7 dried sheets of whole wheat lasagne
- 80 g low fat grated cheddar cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 180C Fan
First make the cheese sauce:-
- Put the skimmed milk in a saucepan and add the corn flour paste mixture.
- Turn on the heat low and whisk, using a balloon whisk to create a white sauce. Season to taste.
- Then gradually add the grated cheese continually whisking it to make it into a creamy cheese sauce.
- Place to the side.
Second make the tuna sweetcorn filling: -
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan then add the onion and garlic and sauté until soft, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes, tomato puree, corn flour and water. Allow to simmer for approximately 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and gently stir in the tuna, sweetcorn, pepper and basil.
- Pour half of the tuna tomato mixture into a shallow ovenproof dish and then top with half of the lasagne sheets. Repeat this process with the other half of sauce and lasagne sheets.
- Re-heat and whisk the cheese sauce just so it has a pouring consistency if it has been allowed to cool, then pour it over the top of the lasagne layers and sprinkle it with the grated cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 15 – 20 minutes until the cheese is brown and bubbly.
- Allow to cool before serving and then serve with a green salad or crusty bread.