These vegetarian couscous stuffed peppers make for a delicious quick healthy meal. Stuffed with tasty feta cheese and a selection of healthy ingredients these peppers make for an excellent light lunch, starter or dinner with accompanying salad.
Vegetarian couscous stuffed peppers are a brilliant and versatile go-to meal for the family when you’re short on time.
What can be more simple than using bell peppers as an edible tasty bowl filled with delicious couscous, sweetcorn, spring onions and feta cheese?
Plus, whilst these are baking in your oven, filling your kitchen with a rich comforting aroma, you can be getting on with other things instead!
In this amazing recipe the tasty melted feta cheese combines with the couscous to provide a tangy salty protein base that’s not only filling, but healthy too.
The sweetcorn, chopped green pepper and spring onions give the dish loads of flavour as well as lot’s of essential vitamins and minerals.
You’ll love this dish if you’re on a limited budget.
You can often get assorted peppers sold together in bags at reduced cost, couscous is cheap as are spring onions and the sweetcorn can just be defrosted frozen sweetcorn.
Using your supermarkets own brand feta cheese will save more pennies as well.
Now, I’ve called these stuffed peppers with couscous “vegetarian couscous stuffed peppers” for a reason.
You see the reason why I’ve deliberatley called them vegetarian couscous stuffed peppers is because they remind me of the stuffed peppers we used to serve vegetarian guests at the hotel I worked at in Dundee, when I was a student.
In fact, if I’m completely honest with you folks they were THE ONLY vegetarian option available on the menu to guests at that time. Marked on the menu as “Vegetarian Couscous Stuffed Peppers”!
Now, we’re harking back to the late 1990’s here so that was some time ago :-). Things have changed drastically since them with the majority of hotel menu’s now providing for all sorts of dietary requirements.
But things were somewhat different in the 1990’s. Back then if you informed the kitchen you were vegetarian then it was out with the couscous stuffed peppers recipe!
And if you were a vegan hotel guest then? Yep, you’ve guessed it. Vegetarian couscous stuffed peppers served without the feta cheese…….
Anyway, regardless of the limited choice for vegetarians then, these stuffed peppers we served were still absolutely delicious and that’s why I still love them as a vegetarian option in our diet and why I’m serving them up for you today!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Delicious Couscous Recipes For You To Try
- The best tabbouleh couscous recipe is delicious served with flat breads and hummus or as an accompaniment to grilled chicken or fish.
- Mediterranean chorizo couscous is a delicious quick healthy budget meal. You’ll love the flavours of the smoky sweet lightly toasted couscous. It’ll make your taste buds sing!
- Couscous ratatouille is a delicious vegan medley of vegetables combined with giant couscous, making a perfectly filling quick healthy meal. It’s ideal as a family dinner and easily freezable too!
Coming Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
So, I hope you enjoy this stuffed peppers recipe! Now looking forward to Thursday…….
You’re going to love my new Flu Busting Chicken Noodle Soup recipe.
Make sure you don’t miss it by subscribing!
These vegetarian couscous stuffed peppers make for a delicious quick healthy meal. Stuffed with tasty feta cheese and a selection of healthy ingredients these peppers make for an excellent light lunch, starter or dinner.
Vegetarian Couscous Stuffed Peppers Recipe
Couscous stuffed peppers are as versatile as they are flavorful and nutritious. You can pretty much do anything with them.
Try adding different combinations of vegetables like peas or spinach. Have them as an apetiser, for lunch or for dinner.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe if you like it! 🙂
Vegetarian Couscous Stuffed Peppers
- 75 g couscous
- 120 ml boiled water
- 4 red peppers
- 100 g frozen sweetcorn defrosted
- 1 green pepper diced
- 2 spring onion chopped
- 80 g feta cheese cubed
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 180C Fan
- Place the couscous in a bowl and pour the boiling water over. Loosely cover with a plate.
- While the couscous is cooking cut the tops off the red peppers and remove the cores and seeds from eat.
- Mix the sweetcorn, green pepper, spring onion and feta cheese together in a bowl.
- After about 10 minutes check the couscous. You want it to be a fluffy consistency when stirred with a fork. Leave for another 5 minutes if it isn’t ready.
- Once the couscous is ready add the sweetcorn, green pepper, spring onion and feta cheese and mix together using a fork then season to taste.
- Spoon the couscous mixture into each red pepper and replace the tops.
- Place on a lightly greased baking tray (I use spray oil for this) and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes.