Mediterranean chorizo couscous is a delicious quick healthy budget meal. You'll love the flavours of the smoky sweet lightly toasted couscous. It'll make your taste buds sing!
Don't you just love dishes that remind you of holidays? Well this Mediterranean chorizo couscous is designed to do exactly just that!
To remind you of sunny days and the delicious fresh flavours you get from relaxing in the Mediterranean.
And folks, if you've been following the blog over the last 3 years, you know I love my Mediterranean dishes.
In fact that’s what a lot of Neil’s Healthy Meals is based upon, The Mediterranean diet.
One particular Mediterranean ingredient that I can’t get enough of is chorizo.
Those amazing smoky aromas you get when you cook chorizo and let it’s flavours release are addictive.
Then there's that versatile, precious chorizo oil which permeates through the rest of your ingredients adding such a unique flavour. That's such a wonderful oil to saute with.
The great thing about chorizo is that you don't need to use a lot of it to get bags of flavour into a dish.
For example this chorizo couscous recipe only uses a 2 inch piece chopped up.
I can normally get a pretty good quality Chorizo sausage from my local supermarket for a few pounds.
So I just take what I need from that, cut up the rest into similar sized pieces, wrap them in cling film and freeze them.
You'll be surprised at how handy that chorizo comes in for making future batches of this recipe or soups like chorizo, tomato, lentil and kale.
The other ingredients in this recipe shouldn't cost you much ether.
Couscous is pretty cheap plus it's quick to make and goes quite far as a filling nutritious carbohydrate.
It's also a great source of protein and is rich in fibre too.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Mediterranean Themed Recipes You Might Also Like
- Mediterranean Breakfast Egg Muffins - a delicious and healthy way to start your weekend. A simple, versatile recipe which is low carb, packed with protein and low in calories too.
- Mediterranean Vegetable Soup - just 100 calories per serving but at the same time it’s full of flavour and extremely filling.
- Mediterranean Vegetable Casserole - packed full of loads of healthy veggies, this fantastic vegan family dish is also extremely filling and satisfying!
Mediterranean Chorizo Couscous Recipe
You could use your own selection of salad ingredients and / or leftover veggies in this chorizo couscous recipe here as well, making it your own.
This recipe also makes for a perfect packed lunch!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Mediterranean Chorizo Couscous Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 175 g Couscous
- 300 ml hot stock Chicken or vegetable
- 1 thumb sized piece of chorizo about 2 inches, chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1 red pepper diced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 small red onion diced
- 8 cherry tomatoes halved
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped basil
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and Freshly Ground Pepper
- Preheat oven to 180 C
- Place the couscous in a saucepan, add the hot stock and bring to the oil. then cover the saucepan, remove it from the heat and allow it to stand for 5 minutes then use a fork to fluff it up.
- Whilst the couscous is cooking, gently heat a cast iron skillet frying pan until hot then add the chorizo stir-frying it to release its flavour and oil. Once the chorizo is crisp but not burnt, remove it with a slotted spoon and put it to the side leaving the oil in the pan.
- Add the garlic, peppers and onion to the hot chorizo oil and stir-fry for 2 minutes or so then stir in the cherry tomatoes, basil and paprika
- Then add the cooked couscous and cooked chorizo, mix everything together well and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Place in preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked through remove from the oven and serve.