Healthy apple and pear bircher muesli is a delicious easy to make ahead breakfast. Just soak the oats overnight in the fridge for a great start to your day!
It’s not just essential to kick start our metabilism in the morning with a breakfast. Research has found people who eat breakfast on a regular basis end up losing more weight compared to those who don’t.
Choosing to eat the right things for breakfast is also essential. An ideal breakfast should consist of a mix of protein, complex carbohydrates and fruit.
When you choose to have a healthy breakfast you’ve already made a better choice. You’ll be less tempted to choose a high calorie fattening fast food option.
This healthy apple and pear bircher muesli is such a great start to the day. It goes a long way to providing those essential nutritional needs mentioned above.
The bircher muesli calories for this recipe are 523. This is a quarter of an average womens daily recommended calorie requirement. Whilst it’s a fifth of an average man’s.
What Is Bircher Muesli?
- Bircher Muesli originally comes from Switzerland
- Bircher Muesli was first developed around 1900 by Swiss physician Maximilian Bircher-Brenner. He developed it for patients in his hospital.
- It’s a breakfast or brunch recipe based on oats, grains, fresh or dried fruits as well as seeds and nuts.
- The original Bircher muesli was soaked overnight with water and lemon juice then eaten with yoghurt.
- Bircher Muesli is healthy as long as it has the right balance of complex carbohydrates, protein, dairy and fruits.
Anyway back to this week. On Thursday stand by for more fantastic Scottish scenery! It’s the third part of our recent 95 mile Scottish hike. Inveroran to Inverarnan – The West Highland Way. Day 3.
Thanks for reading, following and sharing! Catch you Thursday! 🙂
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals. Add your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels – Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google+, Instagram, Bloglovin & YouTube.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Healthy Apple and Pear Bircher Muesli Recipe
This bircher muesli lasts at least 2 days in the fridge. This would also make a great weekend family breakfast. For Lynne and I our favourite time to have this is after a morning gym workout.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
- 100 g rolled porridge oats
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 15 g sunflower seeds
- 15 g pumpkin seeds
- 500 ml skimmed milk
- 250 ml low fat Greek yoghurt
- 2 green apples I use Golden Delicious, grated
- 1 pear cut into small 1cm cubes
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp honey
- In a large bowl, mix the oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, milk and Greek yoghurt and put in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, add the grated apples, chopped pear, cinnamon and honey. Stir well and serve.