This easy healthy baked turkey meatballs recipe for four can be on the table in just one hour! Made with lean turkey mince it’s a great quick healthy meal!
Today folks I’d like to show you just how easy it is to take a few simple ingredients and make them into this sumptuous healthy baked turkey meatballs dish.
I think you’ll love the delicious simple tomato chilli sauce recipe that goes with it too.
There’s no more having to buy processed meatballs filled with I don’t know what.
Here you can make your own meatballs recipe using lean turkey mince.
Not only is lean turkey mince healthier but it’s often cheaper than beef mince.
And baking the meatballs instead of frying them makes these turkey meatballs a much healthier alternative too!
It’s so worthwhile spending the time to cook from scratch.
To know that what you’re feeding yourselves and your family is a good wholesome heart healthy meal!
How To Make Baked Turkey Meatballs
- Firstly, it’s a simple process of adding all the meatball ingredients into a bowl and mixing them together in the good old fashioned way, with your hands!
- Next, and again just using your hands, form either 12 or 16 balls of the turkey mixture (depending on how many you want to serve to each person) and place them onto the greased baking tray.
- Now, we’re not taking art classes or making sculptures here so they don’t have to be perfectly sized. Indeed mine frequently aren’t as you can see!
- Pop the tray of meatballs into your preheated oven and let them bake for approximately 25 – 30 minutes.
- Then, keep an eye on them whilst baking, as you don’t want them to burn.
- Also, I don’t know if you’re got an oven like mine that although it’s a fan oven, it doesn’t seem to cook things evenly. So I need to turn the tray of meatballs around halfway during cooking to ensure they’re cooked through evenly.
- The final stage, whilst you’re baking these meatballs is to make your sauce. Simply heat your sauce ingredients in a frying pan until they’re reduced to a thicker consistency.
- And then once the sauce and the meatballs are ready you simply put them all into the frying pan, garnish and serve!
You know folks, I love recipes like this turkey meatballs dinner where no time is wasted sitting around whilst parts cook.
Here, you make the meatballs.
Then once they’re baking you make the sauce at the same time.
You can even get the dishes done whilst all that is happening too.
Talking of running around. Lady Lynne and I made these meatballs last Saturday before the Great Scottish Run 10k.
And in order to get an extra carb fuel up before my race we put these delicious baked turkey meatballs into half a baguette each. Yum!
Oh and my time? It was 46.37, so I shaved nearly 2 minutes off that 48.35 from last year. I’m absolutely chuffed to bits with that! 🙂
I tried really hard to keep up with the 45 minute pacer but found myself out of breath. Lynne says I need to do interval training if I want to get to that stage next year. What do you think?
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Turkey Mince Recipes You Might Also Like
- Healthy slow cooker turkey chilli is a delicious lightly spiced and easy version of the Mexican classic recipe. This tasty dish is one all the family will love!
- Quick healthy turkey burgers are not only tasty but they’re lower in fat and healthier than traditional beef ones. Ready in just 30 minutes they make a fantastic quick healthy meal.
- Turkey filo pastry samosas are filled with delicious lightly spiced turkey mince. The’re baked rather than deep fried making them a great quick healthy meal!
Thank you again to those good folks at Cirio for their excellent chopped tomatoes which they sent me so that I could make this delicious baked turkey meatballs in tomato and chilli sauce for you, my readers.
The quality of Cirio’s chopped tomatoes make the tomato and chilli sauce in this baked turkey meatballs dish just so rich and fresh tasting!
Baked Turkey Meatballs in Tomato and Chilli Sauce Recipe
These meatballs are delicious served with a portion of pasta each or a tossed green salad. You can easily freeze any leftover meatballs and the sauce too.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
- 500 g lean turkey mince
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 small egg beaten
- 1 tsp mixed herbs
- 50 g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- ¼ tsp chilli flakes
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Freshly chopped basil to garnish
- Preheat oven to 200C Fan
- Lightly grease a baking tray
- In a large bowl mix together the turkey mince, olive oil, garlic, egg, herbs, breadcrumbs and onion. Season with salt and pepper.
- Form the mixture into 12 - 16 balls using your hands and place onto the baking tray.
- Place in baking tray into the oven and bake near the top for approximately 30 minutes until browned.
- Whilst the meatballs are cooking make the tomato and chilli sauce.
- Gently heat the olive oil in a large frying pan, add the crushed garlic and stir for a few seconds in the hot oil.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and chilli flakes, stir well with the oil and garlic and allow to simmer gently until the tomatoes have broken down. Season with freshly ground salt and pepper.
- Once the meatballs are ready, place them in the pan with the sauce, scatter in some basil and serve.
Serves 3 - 4 meatballs per person, depending on how big you make them!