This healthy carrot and sweet potato soup recipe is delicious and simple to make. Vegan and gluten free it’s also low calorie and filling too. Dairy free, it’s a soup that gives you a warming hug just when you need it most!
Hey Folks, I’ve another amazing soup recipe for you today. THIS mouth watering carrot and sweet potato soup!
I know, I know, it’s another soup recipe. But it is just NOT feeling like summer here in any way at all yet.
However folks I think you’ll forgive me, when you make and taste this unbelievable sweet potato and carrot soup!
It kept me warm then. And so I decided to recreate it for you guys!
So in the spirit of keeping warm NOW. Let’s get our soup spoons out and get right into this delicious bowl of healthy carrot and sweet potato soup!
So why is this sweet potato soup recipe just so good?
Well, I think that it’s because carrots and sweet potatoes were meant to go together!
All of the carrot and sweet potato soup ingredients here just marinate so well together producing a natural sweetness.
Whilst the ginger and hint of chilli add the warmth.
You can feel yourself slowly warming up from head to toe as this soup slips down with every mouthful.
Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup Confession
OK, so I have to confess here further the reason for the soup recipe today….
I was planning to do a different summer type recipe but it didn’t happen. (Obviously).
You see Sunday (the day planned to photograph that summer type recipe) was spent re-installing and transferring all my software to a new computer.
I had to replace the creaking laptop that I’ve been working on previously. It just wasn’t designed for my daily thrashing and the software I use! Just pressing a key threw the laptop processor into a tantrum!
So I’m just about finished re-installing everything, but it’s meant the planned recipe has been shelved for a while! Fortunately I had this carrot and sweet potato soup recipe already photographed!
Anyway, I digress. You folks know it’s not all about soup here and I do want to get started on my summer recipes soon.
But with a weekend ahead of cooking and new recipes planned, and with the weather forecast still looking dreich, I’ve had to change that plan there too from “summery” to “hearty” recipes i.e. more casseroles and one pot stews!
Anyway, it is what it is. This is Scotland, and you’ve seen the fantastic weather we can have (check out the Mount Keen photographs) so I’m not moaning, I’m just saying.
Plans have to be adaptable here. Just like ourselves, we all need to be adaptable to changing times and there’s about to be another huge change in my circumstances. I’m changing jobs again……… ❓
So all in all everything has turned out OK. And I think I was MEANT to bring you this healthy sweet potato soup recipe today! 🙂
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Similar Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- Healthy carrot and lentil soup is a simple, tasty and filling bowl of deliciousness! Vegan and gluten free, it takes just a few budget ingredients and spices to create this hearty quick healthy soup!
- Sweet potato and red lentil soup is a delicious and easy recipe. This healthy vegan and gluten free soup is a perfect filler that never fails to please.
- Sweet potato, garlic and chilli soup is ideal for vegans or just soup lovers alike. Filling and giving you more than your daily recommended amount of vitamin A, its just full of delicious flavours from naturally sweet ingredients.
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Right, what’s coming next week? Well on Tuesday it’s a Lamb and Lentil Casserole. As I mentioned above it’s just not summer here yet so this is the perfect one pot stew to provide that warmth that the sun currently isn’t!
Then on Thursday, despite what I’ve said about the weather here, if the sun does come out for photography this weekend then I will do that summery recipe which is a delicious King Prawn and Rocket Salad. So if that’s not there you’ll know what happened with the weather.
Hope you can check back next week to see what actually happened!
Healthy carrot and sweet potato soup recipe is delicious and simple to make. Vegan, gluten free it's also low calorie and filling too. It's a soup that gives you a warming hug just when you need it most!
Watch the short video I made to show you how to make this simple carrot and sweet potato soup. It shows you how easy it really is!
Carrot and Sweet Potato Soup Recipe
The addition of the chilli, when garnishing at the end of making this carrot sweet potato soup is optional. I like to add it as I feel it gives a little more heat and colour to the soup.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
This healthy carrot and sweet potato soup recipe is delicious and simple to make. Vegan, dairy and gluten free it's also low calorie and filling too.
- Low fat cooking spray
- 1 large onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic crushed
- 3 medium sized carrots chopped
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and chopped
- 1 L vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- A sprinkle of mild chilli powder for garnish
- Spray the bottom of a large soup pan about 5 times with the low fat cooking spray.
- Heat the soup pan on a high heat, then when the oil starts to bubble, turn the heat down to a lower heat.
- Sauté the onion and garlic for 2 – 3 minutes, stirring constantly to ensure they don’t burn.
- Add the carrots and cook for a further 2 – 3 minutes, again stirring constantly and add drops of hot water, if required, to prevent the mixture sticking to the bottom of the pan.
Stir in the ground ginger and chilli powder. Stir for 30 seconds.
- Add the chopped sweet potato and vegetable stock. Simmer for 20 – 25 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
- Blitz / puree in a food processor / blender, return to the same pot and re-heat.
- Season to taste, serve and garnish with the mild chilli powder.
This is easily freezable.