Tasty one pot, lamb and lentil casserole recipe. Perfect on it’s own or served with rice. Packed full of flavour and with a huge amount of protein and vitamins this is a family dinner winner!
In light of less time in the evenings and after starting a new temporary job in April, I set myself the task of writing new easy and tasty one pot casserole dishes. This lamb and lentil casserole was one such outcome.
My other half and I agreed this healthy lamb casserole was a winner. So that’s why I’m publishing it for you today!
Whenever I’m writing and trialing new recipes for the blog I’m putting myself into the shoes of busy people.
Those who have little time to spend in the kitchen preparing meals and those who for maybe cooking isn’t a passion or a hobby but a necessity to feed their family a home cooked meal.
You see my other half and I too are busy with our day jobs.
We go to the gym 3 evenings a week and on Saturday mornings too. So the strategy of easy, quick and tasty lentil casserole dishes, like this lamb and lentil casserole is one that works perfectly for us.
We do have the advantage that as there’s only two of us to feed, I can freeze whatever we have left over after making these recipes. Ideal for those evenings we get home from the gym and I can’t be bothered cooking!
But as with most of my recipes, this was made with those readers who have a family too.
I did make 2 versions of this lamb and lentil casserole, one using the above published method and one using 700g of stewing lamb.
Both were good. We just felt we preferred having chunks of lamb leg steak to chew on, and it made a more substantial dish.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Casserole Recipes You Might Also Like
- Low fat venison sausage casserole is an extremely tasty and easy one pot budget family meal. Made in just one hour, you’ll want to add this recipe to your quick healthy meals dinner list!
- This Mediterranean vegetable casserole is not only packed full of flavour but with loads of healthy veggies, this fantastic vegan family dish is also extremely filling and satisfying!
- Beef Curry Casserole is a delicious medium spiced curry. It’s low in calories at 336 per serving and can be ready and on the table in just 2 hours!
Lamb and Lentil Casserole Recipe
You’ll love the smell of this lamb and lentil casserole whilst it’s cooking intoxicating!
Serve with some rice or some steamed vegetables like broccoli.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Lamb and Lentil Casserole
- Low fat cooking spray
- 600 g lean lamb leg steaks cubed
- 180 g red split lentils
- 1 medium onion diced
- 225 g carrots peeled and sliced
- 3 medium sized sticks of celery sliced
- 1 x 400g can peeled tomatoes
- 600 ml lamb stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Pre-heat oven to 170C (325F) or Gas Mark 3.
- Spray the bottom of a large casserole dish with the low fat cooking spray.
- Heat the casserole dish on a high heat, then when the oil starts to bubble turn the heat down to a medium heat and add the diced lamb.
- Brown the lamb thoroughly on all sides.
- Add the red split lentils, diced onion, sliced carrots, celery, tinned tomatoes and lamb stock and stir everything together well.
- Season to taste, bring the casserole to the boil, and then remove to the oven.
- Cook for 1hr 20m or until lamb is tender.