This chilli pasta is a quick and easy healthy family meal. Vegetarian, with kidney beans substituted for meat, it’s full of fibre and goodness Plus it takes just under one hour to serve.
Chilli Pasta, or Chili Pasta?
Take your pick on what spelling you prefer, depending on where you are in the world! As I’m in Scotland (U.K) we’ll go for the Oxford Dictionary definition.
For my U.S. chums, I know you’ll go for the later, but what’s spelling between friends anyway?
And by the way a very Happy Thanksgiving to you all!
So, besides the spelling difference, I can assure you that there is no difference in just how tasty this chilli pasta dish is, wherever you are in the world!
With all the nutritional goodness of the whole wheat fusilli and protein from the kidney beans, this low cost family meal for 4 is one to add to your “quick dinners” list.
It’s great for those occasions you don’t have much time to prepare a meal but need something healthy. It’s perfect for freezing too.
I feel there may be a flurry of such dishes like the chilli pasta to come as I tighten our belts and continue looking for new employment.
I tag these meal options “low cost” so if you’re looking for more options like this, then click the tag at the bottom of the post to check them out!
- Low fat oil cooking spray
- 1 large onion peeled and chopped
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 120 g mushrooms sliced
- 1 in can red kidney beans chilli sauce
- 1 can chopped peeled tomatoes
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 225 g whole wheat fusilli
- Salt and Pepper to season
- Freshly chopped parley
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Spray the bottom of a large saucepan about 5 times with the low fat cooking spray, heat the saucepan on a high heat until the oil bubbles, then turn the heat down slightly.
- Sauté the onion and garlic until soft. Add small amounts of hot water if they stick to the saucepan.
- Add the mushrooms and stir everything together until cooked.
- Add the red kidney beans with the chilli sauce and the can of chopped peeled tomatoes.
- Add the ground coriander and ground cumin and bring the mixture to the boil and allow to simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile cook the fusilli as per the instructions on the packet.
- Season the chilli to taste.
- Once cooked drain the pasta and divide it equally amongst 4 plates. Top the pasta with the chilli.
- Garnish with the freshly chopped pasta and parmesan cheese.
The chilli is great for freezing.
Today I’m linking up with Amanda’s blog in her weekly Thursday, Thinkingoutloud feature.
Amanda’s blog has some fantastic healthy recipes and great blogging tips plus she’s a certified health coach in Canada. So head on over there for lots of healthy lifestyle tips and more! 🙂
So with the weekend ahead, what have you got planned? Lynne and I are heading with her parents to the final arena tour of Jeff Wayne’s musical version of The War of The Worlds on Saturday night. A favourite of her father and I’s. Lynne’s not so sure…….
I’ll let you know how it went next week, but for now have a great weekend everyone!
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.