Cream of celery soup is perfect for getting back in shape after any over indulgence. This one is made with no cream. It's a low calorie creamy celery soup thats both healthy and delicious!
Well it’s here. A Very Happy New Year to you all!
If you’re a regular blog follower you’ll recall that my other half and I are having a “vegan January”.
So recipes will be themed towards that. However, rest assured, we are only doing this for January, it’s just a change for the month.
There’s no change to neilshealthymeals overall theme of quick healthy meals for all!
The recipes this month can of course be enjoyed by anyone, vegan or non-vegan.
We just thought it would be nice to have a change after all our Christmas and New Year indulgences!
So, now that I’ve got that “disclaimer” out of the way, let’s get on to talk about this fantastic cream of celery soup shall we?
It’s a pretty simple healthy cream of celery soup recipe.
One I’ve not changed since I started doing it years ago.
Its particularly healthy because it's a creamy celery soup recipe with no cream. A healthy celery soup!
That's right. It's all just vegetables. And because it's just vegetables it's a low fat celery soup recipe!
What Can I Substitute For Cream In a Cream Of Celery Soup?
There's a simple ingredient which I use in this recipe instead of cream. A potato!
Yes that's right a potato adds bulk to the recipe and when puréed it also adds the creamy consistancy.
Also the addition of an apple adds that extra bit of “sweetness” to the overall flavour. Without adding any kind of artificial sweetener either.
If you want a low carb variation you could also replace the potato with cauliflower. I often do that to change up this soup from time to time!
Why This Is A Healthy Cream Of Celery Soup
It’s amazing just how healthy sticks of celery are.
You see celery is mostly made up of water. About 95%. So not only is it extremely low in calories, carbs and fat but it's is a very healthy and hydrating food to include in your diet.
This low fat creamy celery soup contains essential vitamins and minerals.
Vitamin K, vitamin C, potassium and fibre are found in celery. Folic acid too.
Folic acid helps to maintain and form healthy blood cells, keeps the heart healthy and has also been used to help treat depression.
So, if you’re feeling a bit blue after the festive period and perhaps a little guilty of all the overindulgence too, then have a bowl of this heartening cream of celery soup.
And put it all behind you and start now on your super healthy New Year!
Top Tips For Making The Best Celery Soup
- Check your celery is still crisp and not limp before purchasing.
- Ideally your celery should still have its leaves attached. Which are not brown or wilting.
- Although you can use any part of celery to cook with the tougher outer stalks are the best to cook with in this soup.
- Pull the stalks off from the base. Then use a peeler to remove any tough strings.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Healthy Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- Creamless cream of mushroom soup has no cream but still tastes just as creamy and yummy as the original. But, this one’s without the calories!
- Easy Scottish lentil soup is the authentic healthy red lentil soup from Scotland. This simple soup is filling, comforting and perfect for cold weather days!
- Creamy vegan cauliflower leek soup is a perfect comforting soup. It’s a light and healthy low-calorie soup that’s simple to make in just under an hour!
- A simple healthier Scottish leek and potato soup. Still as deliciously creamy and smooth tasting as the original but as it’s not made with butter or cream, it’s so much more healthier!
Enjoy the short video I made to show you how to make this delicious cream of celery soup!
Cream of Celery Soup Recipe
This delicious and filling cream of celery soup is great at any time of the year. A healthy and filling lunch.
And best of all it's a low fat celery soup as it's not made from any cream!
Why not serve this delicious recipe with some multigrain bread for a simple comforting meal?
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Cream of Celery Soup Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- Low fat cooking spray
- 2 medium onions peeled and chopped
- 350 g chopped celery sticks
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 green apple peeled, cored and chopped
- 1.25 L vegetable stock
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- Freshly chopped flat leaf parsley
- Spray the bottom of a large saucepan about 7 to 8 times. Turn the heat on high underneath, then when the oil starts to bubble, turn the heat lower.
- Add the onion and the celery and sauté, stirring constantly for about 7 to 8 minutes until soft, but not burnt, or you will taint the taste of the soup.
- Add the dried thyme and stir in, then add the potato and apple and sauté, again stirring for a further 2 minutes.
- Add the stock, bring the mixture to the boil and simmer for about 30 minutes until the vegetables are soft then remove from the heat.
- Either using a stick blender or an upright blender, blitz the soup to a pulp or purée and return it to the saucepan.
- Season to taste with the salt and pepper.
- Serve garnished with the freshly chopped parsley.