My healthy cream of mushroom soup has no cream but still tastes just as creamy and yummy as the original. But, this one’s without the calories!
It took me 3 batches of making this cream of mushroom soup, until I got it right, where I could remove the cream ingredient and still feel that the soup had its rich creamy taste at a much reduced calorie and fat content.
In fact, this one became a bit of an obsession. Adding too much potato made it more of a cream of potato soup, adding not enough meant it was too watery!
I finally came up with the right consistency with these quantities below.
I so badly wanted to include it in my lunchtime soups option as the original full fat version cream of mushroom soup has always been one of my favourites.
There’s just so many ways now to make soups “creamier” without unnecessarily adding extra fat and calories to good wholesome food.
If you’re looking to start reducing your calorie intake, or watching your weight, I find it’s always good to check what’s actually been added to the food.
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- A simple healthier Scottish leek and potato soup. Still as deliciously creamy and smooth tasting as the original but as it’s not made with butter or cream, it’s so much more healthier!
- Sweet potato and red lentil soup is a delicious and easy recipe. This healthy vegan and gluten free soup is a perfect filler that never fails to please.
- This delicious creamy vegan cauliflower leek soup is a perfect comforting soup. It’s a light and healthy low-calorie soup that’s simple to make in just under an hour!
Cream of Mushroom Soup Recipe
Leaving out the cream in this cream of mushroom soup recipe, for me, actually means I can taste the vegetables, rather than just cream!
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Cream of Mushroom Soup
- Low cal cooking spray
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 medium potatoes peeled and diced
- 250 g white mushrooms chopped
- 1 L chicken or vegetable stock
- 350 ml skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water
- Salt and pepper
- Some extra mushrooms left over for garnish
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- Spray the bottom of a large saucepan, 5 times, with the low cal cooking spray. Turn on a high heat under the saucepan and wait until the oil bubbles, then turn down to a low heat. You could also use 1 tbsp. olive oil.
- Add the diced onion and soften it, stirring continuously for about 4 – 5 minutes, then add the diced potato and the chopped mushrooms. Stir for a further 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the stock and simmer together for 20 minutes until the potatoes are soft. Remove from the heat.
- When the soup has cooled, blitz it in a blender / food processor and return to the pan.
- Add the milk, the corn flour, and then stir to thicken. Add more corn flour (mixed in cold water first) if a thicker consistency is required.
- Season to taste and then serve garnished with the mushrooms and parsley.