This healthier banana bread recipe is made from the very minimal amount of oil and sugar and contains no butter. It’s an absolutely delicious recipe that I’ve made for my family and friends for years. If they love it, I can guarantee that you will too!
We took some slices of banana bread away with us on a day trip recently, wrapped in cling film and kept in a plastic lunch box, they were still as moist and tasty as they were when it was first cut.
Lady Lynne recently mentioned that this banana bread could be her choice of birthday cake this year if it was covered in something yummy like cream cheese icing or even chocolate ganache!
Working out at about 177 Calories per slice if you’re following the 80:20 rule it’s pretty much OK to have a couple of slices of this a day! 🙂
So ideally you could have this as your mid-morning snack along with a coffee and again later for your mid-afternoon snack with a nice cup of tea. Well, that’s how I like to have mine anyway. Just a suggestion!
This healthier banana bread recipe is made from the very minimal amount of oil and sugar and contains no butter.
- 200 g plain flour
- 100 g wholemeal flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½. tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 185 g castor sugar
- 4 medium sized fairly ripe bananas
- 250 g no fat Greek yogurt or natural yogurt
- 2 medium eggs
- 1 tbsp . vegetable oil
- 1 tsp . vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F and grease a 20cm x 12.5cm / 8” x 5” loaf tin. I usually just spray a couple of times with low cal cooking spray and spread that around with a piece of kitchen towel.
- Sift all of the dry ingredients, the 2 types of flours, bicarbonate of soda, salt, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar into a large mixing bowl, or stand mixer bowl.
- In a separate bowl, add the wet ingredients by mashing the bananas first with a potato masher or fork, then add the yogurt, eggs, oil and vanilla extract. Mix together.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the larger bowl with the dry ingredients. Fold all of the ingredients together either using the stand mixer paddle attachment or a spatula.
- Pour cake mixture into loaf tin and bake for 45 minutes until well risen and golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly in the tin before removing and transferring to a wire baking rack.
- Once completely cooled either store in the fridge or slice into 15 slices and freeze.
Nutrition label calories are per slice.
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this recipe. I welcome any feedback or comments, but please use the contact form if you have specific questions, Thanks! 🙂
If you enjoyed this banana bread recipe, how about trying my variation of it, my cranberry banana bread?
In order not to miss future updates and new recipes, make sure you’re subscribed to neilshealthymeals by adding your email* to the subscription list at the very top of this post or subscribe here. And you can follow me too via your favourite social media channels below.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.