This healthy mushroom and rice soup is both delicious and filling. Easy to make it's an all-in-one full vegetarian meal in itself!
Well folks with winter well and truely upon us I'm sure we're all looking for something comforting to eat at this time of year. So look no further than this tasty healthy mushroom and rice soup!
This is a lovely thick and creamy soup and just like my creamless cream of mushroom soup it's actually made with no cream!
It's an excellent soup for both lunch or dinner.
As I said in the introduction this soup is extremely filling so you can eat it on it's own as a filling meal.
You could also serve it with a slice of wholemeal bread to help mop up the remains of that delicious stock from your soup bowl!
As a vegetarian soup this is also an excellent healthy option for Meatless Monday's.
The health benefits of those mushrooms are numerous. For example I bet you didn't know that mushrooms are one of the few non-animal sources of vitamin D?
Studies have also shown that they may help lower cholesterol because their nutrients help prevent cells from sticking to blood vessel walls and creating blockages.
This healthy mushroom and rice soup also uses brown rice instead of white rice.
Brown rice is healthier and much more nutritious than white rice.
Unlike white rice, which has been refined, brown rice retains the bran layer and as such is a wholegrain and high in fibre.
Brown rice is also considered a low glycemic index food. This means it can help in diabetes management by keeping blood sugar levels steady.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Healthy Soup Recipes You Might Also Like
- Healthy creamy chicken potato soup is a simple and delicious low fat hearty soup. This filling winter warmer is great for a cold winters day!
- Healthy carrot and lentil soup is a simple, tasty and filling bowl of deliciousness! Vegan and gluten free, it takes just a few budget ingredients and spices to create this hearty quick healthy soup!
- Slow cooker chicken and rice soup. This delicious and filling soup is so easy to make. Just put everything into your slow cooker and let the magic happen!
Healthy Mushroom and Rice Soup Recipe
This soup will store for 2 - 3 days covered in your fridge and can easily be reheated on your stove or in your microwave.
You might need to add a little bit more hot water or vegetable stock as the longer you leave it the more the rice will soak up the liquid.
You can also freeze this mushroom and rice soup. I suggest portioning it into individual containers before freezing. Make sure the soup is thoroughly defrosted before reheating.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Healthy Mushroom and Rice Soup Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 200 g brown rice*
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 350 g white mushrooms chopped
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 350 ml skimmed milk
- 1 tablespoon corn flour mixed with 2 tbsp. cold water
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- In a saucepan cook the brown rice according to the packet instructions, then drain.
- Whilst the rice is cooking gently heat the oil in a large soup pot and add the onion and garlic. Sauté for about 3 – 4 minutes. Then stir in the mushrooms and sauté for about 6 - 8 minutes until cooked through.
- Add the vegetable stock, milk, and corn flour mixture. Stir well, bring to the boil, then turn down to simmer gently for about 25 - 30 minutes.
- Stir the cooked rice and parsley into the mushroom soup and season to taste.