Creamy cauliflower and cumin soup is a quick and easy delicious soup. It’s the perfect go-to winter comfort soup and ideal as a starter for a meal or on its own.
This creamy cauliflower and cumin soup is so tasty, cheap to make and healthy too.
It’s gluten free and vegetarian, takes just under an hour to make and makes a big pot full, enough for 6 people.
The cauliflower is cooked with the cumin, absorbing the flavour, blended and then some low fat cream cheese added to make it oh SO creamy without actually adding any cream!
I just think that you’ll love the pureness of this vegetable soup and agree that the cumin creates a warm and earthy flavour to be savoured.
This soup is another example of Lady Lynne coming back from a meeting at her work’s HQ in London and enthusiastically telling me all about the soup that was available in her staff canteen.
Now, she thinks that that particular soup she had probably was made from cream. I’m not against cream in any way but I prefer to put it in my cheesecakes! 😉
So, as always when requested by her that I try and recreate that soup, but in a healthier way without cream, that’s what I’ve done here.
And, judging by her enthusiasm for THIS version of that cauliflower soup, I think I can say I pretty much nailed it!
This recipe could be your ideal Christmas day starter if you’re still looking for one.
It’s perfect because it’s quite light and as it’s not made with any cream so it doesn’t feel too rich or heavy in your tummy.
You’ve still got plenty of space left for plenty of Christmas turkey!
Otherwise this soup is ideal as a winter warmer, freezes easily and makes for a delicious work day packed lunch.
The Health Benefits of Cumin in This Cauliflower and Cumin Soup
We often talk about the health benefits of particular vegetables or components of a recipe, but did you realise all of the health benefits of adding a particular spice to a recipe?
Not only does it make this soup taste amazing but cumin is said to have all these added health benefits too :-
- Aids digestion – cumin contains thymol, known to stimulate glands that release certain enzymes necessary for digestion.
- Boosts the immune system – contains vitamin C.
- Promotes healthy skin – contains vitamin E which acts as an antioxidant.
- Helps to prevent diabetes – contains cuminaldehyde, which helps to improve glucose intolerance.
- Treats insomnia – as it aids digestion it prevents undigested food keeping us awake.
- Is a high source of iron – this helps to prevent anemia.
So, next time you make a soup, think about adding different spices, not just for the flavour but for all of those added health benefits it can provide too!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Creamy Soup Recipes For You To Try
- Creamy vegan cauliflower leek soup is a delicious comforting soup. Easy to make, it’s a light and healthy low-calorie soup on the table in under an hour!
- Creamy sweetcorn chowder is low cost, low calorie and easy to put together and make in 30 minutes. Its absolutely perfect for a cold winters day!
- Healthy Creamless Cream of Mushroom Soup has no cream but still tastes just as creamy and yummy as the original. But, this one’s without the calories!
Coming Next Week on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Well folks, this is the final recipe before Christmas day.
I’ll be taking a short break and the next recipe you can expect here will be next Thursday.
It’ll be a lovely Chickpea and Butternut Squash veggie curry. I figured a veggie curry might be fitting if we’re all fed up of turkey by then.
So, until next Thursday here’s wishing you all a fantastic Christmas! 😀
Creamy Cauliflower and Cumin Soup Recipe
Why not enjoy a couple of slices of my homemade easy multigrain bread with this cauliflower soup to make sure you mop up every last drop?
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Creamy Cauliflower and Cumin Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 1.5 tsp cumin powder
- 750 g cauliflower florets
- 1 L vegetable stock
- 200 g low fat soft cheese
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- Gently heat the oil in a large pan, add the onion and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes
- Stir in the cumin powder for about 30 seconds and then add the cauliflower florets and vegetable stock. Bring to the boil then turn down to simmer for about 20 minutes until the cauliflower is soft.
- Blitz the soup in a blender or a food processor then return to the pan and bring it back to the boil then turn down to simmer.
- Stir in the soft cheese and continue stirring the soup well to ensure all the cheese has melted.
- Season to taste and then serve in bowls with the chopped coriander sprinkled over.