Creamy coconut beef curry has all the amazing flavours you would expect from a cream based curry. But it’s made with healthier creamed coconut so lower in calories and fat. This is a mild curry and it’s really easy to make too.
You’ll love this deliciously mild, creamy coconut beef curry.
It’s a beef curry recipe that really requires little effort and relatively few spices and ingredients, but has a huge amount of flavour.
The tender chunks of beef absorb the coconut and mild spice flavours whilst simmering away on your stove.
Creating a delicious smell and allowing you to get on with other things!
I made this beef coconut curry recipe earlier on this year, having not long returned from our epic african adventure.
It reminded me of the 4 – 6 different curries that were available to choose at each meal (and I mean breakfast, lunch and dinner!)!
Zanzibar grows and exports its own spices, plus the coconuts they used for cooking were fetched right down off the tree, as fresh as can be.
Obviously, here in Scotland I can’t get spices as fresh as those just picked in Zanzibar!
And anyone who claims they’ve just picked a coconut fresh from a tree here, quite clearly is telling fibs. 😆
But with this creamy coconut beef curry, I have recreated one of those fresh coconut beef curries that I was lucky enough to experience in Zanzibar.
It’s also less fattening but still as tasty a reminder of those fantastic African flavours.
But when we do, I use beef to make something amazing and special. Like this creamy coconut beef curry.
And….can you tell it was the middle of winter when I made this earlier on this year?
I had to chase the rays of winter sunshine around our kitchen just to get the pictures to not look as if though I was photographing in a cave!
To Serve This Creamy Coconut Beef Curry You May Need….
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links – which means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
These are the balti dishes I use to serve my curries. You’ll see these dishes in most of my curry recipe photographs as well. They add a perfect authenticity when serving your curry.
For a very reasonable price you get 6 of these high grade stainless steel authentic Indian balti dishes.
They’re easy to clean and you’ll enjoy them for life!
Subscribe to Neil’s Healthy Meals
Don’t miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Other Popular Beef Curry Recipes You Might Also Like
- Mild beef curry. This easy healthy recipe is delicious, low in calories and packed with flavour. This simple Indian curry is one all the family will enjoy!
- Beef Curry Casserole is a delicious medium spiced curry. It’s low in calories at 336 per serving and can be ready and on the table in just 2 hours!
- This slow cooker beef curry is absolutely packed full of flavour. It’s an easy healthy recipe that makes the meat so tender it will melt in your mouth!
Coming Next Thursday on Neil’s Healthy Meals
Well as I mentioned in the previous recipe, the cherry sponge mug cake one, we did finally manage to conquer Ben Vorlich on Saturday! Success!
So, I’m currently editing the pictures from that climb and I’ll bring you those Ben Vorlich pictures on Thursday as a little something different.
Catch you then!
Creamy Coconut Beef Curry Recipe
Serve this creamy coconut beef curry with rice, or naan breads.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂
Creamy Coconut Beef Curry
- Low calorie cooking spray
- One large onion finely diced
- 2 cloves large garlic finely chopped
- 35 g fresh ginger finely chopped
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp mild chilli powder
- 250 g stewing / casserole beef cubed
- 500 ml beef stock
- ½ tsp salt
- 35 g grated creamed coconut
- 1 tbsp freshly chopped coriander
- Spray the bottom of a large saucepan with the low fat cooking spray about 5 times. Turn the heat on high, then when the oil spray starts to bubble turn down the heat add the onion and saute, stirring constantly to prevent burning for about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the garlic and ginger, again stirring constantly for a further 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add the ground cumin, ground coriander, turmeric and mild chilli powder, stir together for 1 minute to allow the flavours to release.
- Add 5 tbsp. warm water to prevent any burning and stir for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Blitz the onion spice mixture in a food processor / blender or with a stick blender to a paste consistency.
- Return the paste to the pan, stir in the beef, and brown it within the paste, about 3 – 4 minutes.
- Add the beef stock, bring the stock to the boil, turn down to a gentle simmer, add the salt, put the lid on and cook for 1 hour stirring every now and then until the sauce has thickened and beef is tender.
- Stir in the grated creamed coconut and simmer for a further 15 minutes until a creamy coconut consistency is achieved.
- Serve garnished with coriander.