This lemon quinoa salad with feta is a deliciously fresh tasting gluten free vegetarian healthy salad. Packed full of nutritional goodness this low cost salad is quick and easy to prepare!
This delicious feta and lemon quinoa salad has classic Mediterranean flavours, brought to life with a zingy lemon vinaigrette.
You'll find this healthy quinoa salad bursting with fresh lemon flavour accompanied with creamy feta cheese, peas, and tomatoes.
It all goes so well together and it's perfect served warm from having just cooked the quinoa fresh or cold as a salad packed lunch.
Although during summer I’m still inclined to take one of my soups every day to work for lunch, from time to time I do like to shake it up a bit with a good filling salad.
It would be a shame to miss out on all the fantastic fresh salad produce in the shops at the moment by sticking to soups every day.
Particularly cherry tomatoes, they just seem to taste so much juicier now, rather than in winter don't you think?
It's just that when time is limited, and I’m home late from work in the evening, it’s often far easier to reach into the freezer and get out one of my pre-made soups.
Fortunately though, I came up with this feta and lemon quinoa salad as an ideal solution to the limited time issue and this means I CAN take advantage of all that fantastic fresh salad produce!
You'll be able to make this feta and lemon quinoa salad in just 10 minutes if you’ve already got cooked quinoa and peas.
Plus, quinoa is just such a super amazing grain!
Check out this detailed article on the 27 science-backed health benefits of quinoa if you don't believe me!
I got the idea for this feta and lemon quinoa salad from a pre-made healthy lunch I bought out of a well-known U.K. high street store, prior to travelling on a train to London a few years ago.
It stuck in my memory and the lemony flavours of that salad really complimented the quinoa, feta and edamame beans.
I wasn’t able to get edamame beans for this, my version. So I’ve substituted with peas instead. You could add edamame beans instead if you can get them.
Also, goats cheese would be fine as a feta cheese substitute if you can’t get that.
Talking of feta cheese, whilst writing up this recipe I did some checking up on the benefits of feta cheese.
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Versatile - you can serve this hot or cold. For lunch, dinner or as a side.
- Simple - it's easy to make in just 10 minutes.
- Healthy - packed with healthy vitamins and minerals.
- Make in advance - this lemon quinoa salad can be made and prepared and stored in the fridge for busy weeknights.
- Flexible - you can change up the ingredients to suit those you have to hand.
Is Feta Cheese Good For You?
I came to the conclusion that like any cheese, feta cheese is one to enjoy in moderation.
It can be high in saturated fat and salt. But, that depends on how it's made and there are healthier versions available and that's what I tend to use.
Saying that though, feta cheese is still one of the healthiest cheeses you can choose and an ideal addition to your salad.
Made from either sheep or goats milk, its packed with vital vitamins and minerals and is an excellent replacement high protein source for vegetarians.
- Cooked Quinoa - You can cook 60g of rinsed quinoa in 300ml of water which only takes about 20 minutes.
- Feta Cheese - this gives the recipe a creamy texture balanced with the tangy lemon flavour.
- Coriander - use freshly chopped coriander. You could also substitute with other fresh herbs instead for different flavours like basil or mint.
- Peas - I use cooked peas. You can use other green vegetables too like spinach or kale instead.
- Cherry Tomatoes - these add a delicious sweet taste to the overall textures. You could use an ordinary salad instead but it might not be as good.
- Red Onion - adds a delicious crunch to the recipe.
- Lemon Juice - for the lemon flavour. Freshly squeezed is best.
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - use a good quality extra virgin olive oil for the vinaigrette.
- Clove Garlic - only use fresh. Garlic powder will not work.
- Freshly ground salt and pepper - essential for seasoning.
See recipe card for quantities.
Step By Step Instructions
Detailed instructions are in the recipe card below. But here is a quick step by step guide of how to make this lemon quinoa salad with feta recipe:
- Cook the quinoa and peas. Make the lemon dressing.
- Place the quinoa in a medium sized bowl and combine it with the onion.
- Crumble in the feta then add the peas and cherry tomatoes.
- Pour over the lemon dressing, add the chopped coriander and gently mix everything together.
- Transfer to serving bowls or an airtight container to store and squeeze extra lemon juice over if required.
Subscribe to Neil's Healthy Meals
Don't miss future updates and new recipes. Make sure you’re subscribed to Neil’s Healthy Meals.
Subscribe here to add your email to the subscription list.
And you can follow me too via your favourite social channels :-
*I do not use your email for anything else other than adding you to my blog subscription list which you can opt out of at any time.
Can I Make Quinoa Salad The Day Before?
Yes, you can make this lemon quinoa salad in advance and store it in the fridge for lunch or dinner the next day.
Can I Freeze This Recipe?
No, I do not recommend freezing this quinoa salad.
Is Quinoa Healthy?
Yes. As part of a healthy diet, quinoa is a whole grain that is gluten-free. It's a great source of fibre so that means it helps you to feel fuller for longer and may help with weight loss.
What Can I Serve With Lemon Quinoa Salad?
It's delicious served just as it is. Or you could add shredded chicken, grilled chicken or even some cooked prawns if you wanted to.
Other Popular Quinoa Recipes You Might Also Like
📋 Feta and Lemon Quinoa Salad Recipe
The following links and any links in the recipe card below are affiliate links.
This means that if you click on it and then buy that product I’ll get a small commission (at no extra cost to you of course).
If you do click through then thanks for being a part of Neil’s Healthy Meals!
- 60 g quinoa cooked and cooled*
- 80 g feta cheese
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped coriander
- 70 g peas cooked
- 8 halved cherry tomatoes
- 1 small red onion finely diced
Lemon Vinaigrette Ingredients
- 3 tablespoon lemon juice freshly squeezed is best
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- Freshly ground salt and pepper
- Make the lemon vinaigrette by combining all the vinaigrette ingredients into a small bowl and seasoning to taste.
- Make the salad by placing the quinoa in a medium sized bowl and combining with the onion.
- Crumble the feta into the bowl with the quinoa and onion, then add the peas and cherry tomatoes.
- Pour over the lemon vinaigrette, add the chopped coriander and gently mix everything together.
- Transfer to serving bowls and squeeze extra lemon juice over if required.
Nutritional information provided below is calculated using paid for online tools and the exact ingredients and quantities used above.
Rate The Recipe
If you’ve made this feta and lemon quinoa salad recipe, or any other recipes on Neil's Healthy Meals, then please let me know.
I’d love to hear what you think of my recipe in the comments below and please do rate my recipe 5* if you like it! 🙂